Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interior misc paint advice needed

Interior misc paint advice needed

Looking to paint some of the various not highly, but slightly cosmetic interior metal parts soon...(61)the parking brake handle housing, metal parts on the seat, different brackets, maybe the steering column etc....any advice on which version of black to use? What brands? What primer, etc.?
    Thanks...!

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Looking to paint some of the various not highly, but slightly cosmetic interior metal parts soon...(61)the parking brake handle housing, metal parts on the seat, different brackets, maybe the steering column etc....any advice on which version of black to use? What brands? What primer, etc.?
    Thanks...!
    Spray gun or rattle can?
    Dave M
    1963 Ford Falcon Futura convertible 170ci auto.
    Arlington Wa

I was thinking rattle can at least for the small stuff, but I also need to paint the seat frames...open to advice! I'm new at painting, I don't have my own gun yet and my current compressor is only 5.8 Cfm at 90 or I think 7.8 at 40. I've seen some sprayers at Eastwood made for that cfm level...but no idea if they are any good. Again...open to advice.

Powder coat the seat frames.

Here is a decent low cost paint gun that you could use. It's great for beginners and works well with smaller compressors.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LVLP-Gravity...064982&vxp=mtr
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

If ya want to rattle can; Ace Hardware has Rustoleum @2/$5 this weekend. I'm using the satin finish black on suspension parts

I used Satin Black Rust -oleum with Rust-oleum Automotive Primer for most of my brackets and out of way things that don't get wear or handled. It was already a huge project that I just wanted to keep it moving along. I would do that bit again. Of course if Steve and Doghouse Powder was closer I totally would have went that route. Steve powder coated my five wheels White and they are better than awesome!

For the dash, doors, steering column I bought special interior paint in cans from NPD (National Parts Depot) . It looks good but I would use a real spray set up with hardener next time. The rattle can finish chips easily and I have to be extremely careful when using chemicals to clean off things like window sealer or trim adhesive.

I used SEM universal color coat for the kick panels, door handles and other plastic bits. That is tough stuff. I used the Dupli - color "Adhesion Promoter " prior to the SEM color and am very pleased. Looks good and is holding up well. I also bought the SEM from NPD as the price was best I could find.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Thanks everyone for all the advice so far.
    Patrick, I can see why you powdercoated the seat frames. I was thinking about that...do you mind if I ask about how much that would cost?
    Or...Steve...if you see this post, please chime in.
    They would need to be blasted too.

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Patrick, I can see why you powdercoated the seat frames. I was thinking about that...do you mind if I ask about how much that would cost?
    Or...Steve...if you see this post, please chime in.
    They would need to be blasted too.
    I'll let Steve reply to the powder coating question.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I used to use Krylon due to the fast-dry and use reason, but found it to be fast dry but not very durable at all. I found the Rustoleum 7777 (rattle-can or quarts I see no difference in quality) to be very durable. It is what I sprayed the exterior of the Ranchero and under the hood. Takes about 8-hours to dry, but that appears to be worth it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"