Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interior misc paint advice needed

I used the Eastwood zinc tank paint on mine. I would have powder coated it but they are soldered in places and that won't take the oven.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Interior misc paint advice needed

I the Eastwood Zinc paint on the gas tank. I sprayed the whole bottom of my car with "Zero-Rust" from Eastwood and then sprayed it all with Rubberized Undercoating also from Eastwood. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Thanks BadBird...what kind of prep is required for that before the zero rust goes on?

Doghous...I did see your gas tank and it does look really nice...what did you use for the bottom sheet metal?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

My whole car including the underside was powder coated with an epoxy primer powder. Then I under coated the whole thing with a product call " Fast" undercoat. I got it from Baxters and it goes on with a Shoots gun.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Don, I sandblasted the whole underneath to get rid of all the old paints and undercoatings to bare metal. I cleaned that surface with acetone and then sprayed the Zero-rust per the cans directions. There are a lot of other products that do the same thing. Then I sprayed the Rubberized Undercoating over that with a special little gun that attaches right to the can. Works well and hopefully I won't ever have any rust issues.
    The undercoating cleans off well between shows with simple green. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Gas Tank out..decisions, decisions

I ended up buying the POR-15 gas tank kit and the Eastwood zinc paint that Steve and Larry recomended. Gas tank out now...gas was pretty clean, a look in the fill hole and the tank is clean inside, a little gunk by the drain plug-not much, BUT

See the pics-The rust on the outside edge is worse than it first appeared and my real concern is how the seam seems to be opened up a bit. First I thought it went all the way through to the inside- but i couldn't get a feeler gage to poke thorugh the weld. Now that it's out I wonder if it's worth spending the time, the $$ I spent on the restore kit and paint on it-which probably costs more than the cheap new tanks available online. I wanted to keep the original tank...one thing I can say is that this thing is tough- I can stand on it and it barely bends at all. (but if the seam eventually pops, or pops in an accident who cares?) If I buy a new cheap one ($100) are they as tough as the original? or, has anyone ever bought one of the ones from Macs? ($259) Are they any different than the cheap ones? are they close to origional? As usual...all advice appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dhbfaster; February 10th, 2014 at 09:54 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don if I remember right the tanks are "pinched" on the sides. There is a bit of lip that is not welded to the other half. I would clean that area up with a wire brush, apply the POR-15 generously and continue with the zinc. If you can not see the rust inside the tank at that seam it's a good bet it is only on the outside where that "overlap" is.. HTH
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Save yourself some grief - get a Mustang tank and relocate the filler into the trunk. Cheap and drops right in. I spent hours and hours trying to revive a tank... only to replace it later. That tank in the pictures looks like a mess.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I know people don't like it...but I like the filler where it's been for the last 52 years. Why a mustang gas tank and not a falcon gas tank?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I think most people, me included, go for the Mustang tank for 3 reasons.

1. You get a few extra gallons of fuel capacity.

2. The original filler tube makes it difficult to fill using most modern pump nozzles. With the Mustang filler being centered and pointing straight up, you can move it inside the trunk. You'll just need to add a vent.

3. And it's cheaper! Ford guys are renowned for being cheap.

Here's a shot of mine.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

One of the first things I did was buy a new tank off of Ebay. It was a direct replacement and for quite awhile I thought like you that I would keep the fill tube as stock. But after pouring half my gas on t,he concrete and on the back end of my car I put the filler inside and love it. My filler is covered by my fiberglass surround in the trunk and I love the easy fill ups now. Trust these guys, they know what they are talking about. All their years of experience tells us what is best.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I saw those gas tanks on ebay. About $100 new with the sending unit and all. You're happy with the quality and thickness of the steel?
    Ok, you guys are staaarrrrting to change my mind on the filler-filling it inside the trunk that is. I'm thinking I can keep it looking origional on the outside, but fill inside the trunk. Sounds like I need to buy the mustang tank with the straight filler tube now- when I search ebay (or the web) for the mustang gas tank- What year mustang and how do I know it will fit?

AND, are the holes in the flange in the mustang gas tank in the correct place? or will i have to drill new holes in the car?
    AND, Larry if yours is a falcon direct replacement, how do you handle the angled fill tube inside?

By the way, thanks for the comments everyone and thanks for the pic Kenny...
    Last edited by dhbfaster; February 11th, 2014 at 09:43 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I am very happy with what I have. It wasn't difficult for me to hook up a straight tube with mine, but Roger and several others have experience with the Mustang tanks which I don't have. I would listen to their advice.

My car has the original gas cap on the back and all looks stock from that point.

It was an easy fix and someone in the club may have a straight tube from a truck like I used. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Here's a thread that has some good info on the filler conversion:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...read.php?t=465

You can get the `65-`68 Mustang 16-gallon tank, It will bolt in directly and all the bolt holes will line up.

Some people use there old filler tube but I took one off an old 70's Ford truck from the junk yard. The non-vented lid I bought fit it perfectly and it's straight, not curved like the original. Look for a truck with the tank inside, behind the seat.

You should have a vent tube on your old tank. You will need to have that cut off, drill a hole in the same location of the new tank, and braze the vent tube over the hole. I had a muffler shop do the brazing for me.

The tank needs to vent like it did originally to the outside. You want a non-vented cap so you don't get fumes in the trunk. The vent tube is the most complicated part. Not a very good photo but this is the vent tube with the hose and line attached.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I've pulled off and given or sold (at cost) about 5 or 6 of the 67-72 F100 truck necks. Heck, I may still have one buried in my piles and piles of stuff. I tend to grab them when I see them. PicknPull used to (before they sold their souls to the devil) for like $2. Now they'll probably want $20 for one - and ask for a core charge.

I wasn't aware the Mustang tank didn't have the vent. I've never done the conversion, but didn't we do Joanna's at a tech day at Gene's when we installed her new windshield? Had she already had this tube welded onto it or did we only add the tube to her existing tank? Where did the Mustang vent tube go when it was on the Mustang? They had vents too, didn't they? Gosh, more to investigate...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"