Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interior misc paint advice needed

Also, you might want to consider (for future conversions) to add the vent to the upper part of the filler neck instead of to the tank. Serves the same purpose but may also minimize any "oops" overflow while filling. But probably not. But it would make the add of a vent tube easier to manage on the smaller part.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Strange, I did a quick eBay search and don't even see the vent tube on the Falcon tanks. Well, my old original tank had it for sure.

Because of a rear ender, I've installed a couple of new tanks over the years. I had to have a vent tube brazed in both. I had to find a new tube for the current, second tank because by the time I cut off the original that was brazed on the first replacement and filed it square, it was too short. I ended up using the nipple off an old PCV valve and it worked great.

I kept mine in the original position on the tank because I didn't want to bend the tubing that runs along the back panel and vents outside. It's connected to the tank with a 2" long piece of rubber fuel line.

And I don't remember the details of Joanna's install. I'll have to check it out next time we get together.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Interior misc paint advice needed

The Tank that I bought off of ebay was for a Falcon and it accepted a straight tube addition very easily and has the stock vent tube location. I am not sure, but I think John Henry sold me the pipe that he had extra. It goes behind my fiberglas shroud also so it is covered. When I fill up, i just lift the fiberglas part off, fill it up and set it back in place. It is so easy without all the mess now. Thanks to the members who talked me into doing the change. Well worth the effort. Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Larry is your filler fitting on the tank angled or pointed straight up?
    If seems like I can save one step if the vent tube is already there on the tank.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Interior misc paint advice needed

It has a slight tilt to it, but the straight pipe fits well and won't cause you a problem. Oh Yeah. It's 81 degrees here in Blythe California today. Driving on in to Tucson tomorrow and pulling out the golf clubs. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Oh yeah, it's 80 degrees here uhrrr in my shop!?! Crap I want to go to Az..
    Sorry for the interruption.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Now now, don't get a sun burn...

Larry is this tank on ebay like the one you've got?
    It seems to portray some quality, it has the vent tube, sending unit and all..and if I can fit up the straight filler it seems like the way to go at $159

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Falcon-...dd06ca&vxp=mtr
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

OK, while Larry's busy golfing and sun bathing...I called Scott Drake who sells gas tanks through summit where I bought the por-15 kit I need to return to them-I was hoping for an easy exchange for a tank..Scott Drake sells the falcon tanks and the mustang tanks so I called to ask about the differences. The first thing the guy said was "Duh! that's why the trunk mat I sold that guy won't fit his falcon- he's got a mustang tank!"
    None of the tanks they sell (including the falcon tank) are vented- so I would have to take care of that- he said the only difference between the tanks is the location and angle of the filler.
    Do any of you with a mustang tank have a trunk mat issue?
    Do any of you know if I go with OFI for a trunk mat along with the rest of the interior, will they custom cut it to fit the mat around the mustang filler at center back anyway?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

What I did with my trunk mat was to cut a circle the same diameter as the factory opening with an exacto knife in the centered position for the Mustang tank. Move the circle piece you cut out to "plug" the old Falcon hole. I used some contact cement and a patch of fabric on the back side, bigger than the hole, to adhere the piece of the mat you moved. Can hardly tell.

You can see a bit of it in this photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Got it, a little custom work, but it looks good-really appreciate the pic Kenny.
    So I'm trying to do the return and order the tank and sending unit from Summit...going with the mustang 16 gallon tank. Does anyone know if I need the sending unit with the 3/8" tube float or the one with the 5/16" version?? (These are the units for the 64 mustang which should fit the mustang tank I'm buying...) The notes say the 5/16" version is for cars WITHOUT a low fuel warning system...which I assume is the one I need correct? (I don't recall a low fuel warning system..but it's not like I have driven this car much..)
    Also, stainless steel float is $10 more than plastic float...anyone seen any differences plastic vs stainless floats? I would ASSume stainless is better...but not sure if that's the case.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Anyone have any comments about the fuel sending units and floats I mention below? (Float size or stainless vs plastic?)
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I replaced mine with a brass one. Plastic seems cheap to me, and stainless?? I guess between the two I would go stainless. I don't think size matters as long as it floats the sender itself does all the work.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

The 5/16" vs 3/8" is the fuel outlet size. If keeping stock or stock'ish, stay with 5/16". Use 3/8" if you plan any performance upgrades. Then replace the line up to the engine with 3/8" also.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Ooooopps my bad. Did I mention I turned 50 this year??
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Whew....the description on the summit site is horrible. (and I also just turned 50!)
    Duh, I checked on the Scott Drake site and it's a lot more clear- 5/16 (or 3/8) stainless stainless steel tube, brass float (or plastic). Thank you Patrick!! appreciate the teamwork everyone!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree