Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rust Repair!

Paint and Body

Thanks for the input guys.

I will defer to your advice and collective wisdom and call the shop tomorrow morning and request that the remaining trim items be removed.

Hopefully, this will not open cans of worms. Jeff is indeed correct when he said: "... you have to draw the line somewhere or every project would become a complete restoration."

In retrospect, I wish that I had thought to take off all the trim myself before taking it to the paint shop. It makes things a bit awkward to want to start working on the car once it is in someone else's garage.

The bottom line is you are paying for it and want the best job you can get. go in and remove the parts, you will thank yourself for it.....jh

Paint and body.

I will get scolded, but here it is. The side trim is staying on.

The side trim is attached at the leading and trailing edges from inside the doors and quarter panels with nuts. See points "A", "C", "D", and "D".
    Side trim.JPG

Here are details showing the nuts A, C, and D. To get at those nuts to remove the trim, I would have to remove all the interior panels, including rear seat, arm rests, window cranks, etc.
    Trim Attachments.JPG

PLUS, (and maybe I am wrong) it looks like I would also have to remove both front fenders to get at the nuts that hold the "spear head" in place. Removing the trim would involve an enormous amount of work and the car has already been sanded anyway.
    Left side.jpg

On a more positive note, the tail lights have been removed and the grill and antenna will be removed.
    Tail lights.jpg

The manager said that their next step will be to spray the car with grey epoxy primer. From a comment on the internet:
    “Epoxy is probably the most versatile undercoat there is. It provides a tough, durable, waterproof, anti-corrosion layer on your panel and most premium quality epoxies will give you a 7-day recoat window.”

I can understand the side trim but good job on getting the grill and taillights pulled. Those were easy areas to remove that trim would be a bugger. Since your staying the same color it should be fine after all were not going to pebble beach. lol
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Sorry for opening the can of WIAI, but you'll be happier and that's what's important. Much been there done that being spoken around here, which is what we're trying to, as a club and forum, keep others from learning the way that is hard. Of course there is a line many of us have never found () but I really think painting a car requires some level of line crossing.

You may also offer to do your own masking of what is left. Good luck!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Update

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Sorry for opening the can of WIAI, ...
    Thanks, Roger. What is a can of "WIAI"?

I stopped by today to see how things are going. They have sprayed the car with grey primer. The manager says that he wants to allow the primer "time to shrink" before he sprays the next coat. It looks really smooth.

1-IMG_0999 cropped.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    1-IMG_0999 cropped.jpg
    While I'm At It

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    Kenny had it right. It was a blog I did a while back too, which you commented on:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums/blog.php?b=24

There is no cure.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"