Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tech day part 3

Just couldn't wait, could ya Steve! You probably knew what all your Christmas presents were as a kid before you opened them.
    Well here is the update....it does not "cold start" like Marv said it would. Well that's not true, it did once. He wanted perfection which is 2 pumps, turn it over, it starts and runs at high idle then you romp on the gas a bit and it kicks down. I have to give it more gas than 2 pumps and crank it over more than a couple turns. I tried to tell him it wouldn't ever be perfect like that but he wouldn't listen to me because well he knows best, right? Anyways I have had discussions with lots of you in the past about automatic chokes and mentioned my Bronco working perfect and the comments back were" was it fuel injected?" That's why it worked correctly.
    I am totally happy with it so far, it's good enough for me. Has good get up and go and runs smooth.Tomorrow I am going on about a 70 drive with it so I will see how it does🚙 Stay Tuned
    IMG_0456cropthumb

She ran great on her first long journey! I also did 3 pumps on the cold start instead of 2 and it worked the way it suppose to!
    Now to fix something else...has anyone converted vacuum wipers to electric? I know nothing about what it takes to do it.
    IMG_0456cropthumb

I'm pretty sure you will need an electric Falcon/Comet wiper assembly that will replace the vacuum units up under the dash. Probably a switch as well so they will park properly.

Best bet would be eBay unless someone here has a spare. Look for the 2-speed option if you can find it.

Or better yet, intermittent wipers are nice in the typical drizzle we get around here. Here's a nice write-up on using a Bronco setup:

http://www.cometeastcarclub.org/PDFs...ELD_WIPERS.pdf

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Gina, Gina, Gina. Guess what I have sitting on my shelf. I believe I have a two speed unit that I kept from that last Ranchero I sold off. I kept a few key pieces off it and the wiper assembly was part of it. This was when I was having issues putting mine together. I'll double check it.
    Congrats on the first long trip I'm glad she's finally running for you. I could tell by the smile you had that you were pleased when you picked it up last week. Now keep it running and do the things needed but not the stuff to take her off the road.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

"The Wonder Comet"

Quote Originally Posted by Gina K View Post
    I also did 3 pumps on the cold start instead of 2 and it worked the way it suppose to!
    Hello, Gina.

I think that 3 pumps may actually be correct. The owner's manual for my 63 Falcon says that for an automatic choke and a cold engine "press the accelerator pedal three times all the way to the floor" (see attached photo). If the engine is warm, press the throttle 1/4 down and turn the key.

We want to see day trip pictures of the Comet toodeling around Washington state!

1-DCP_4963.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; March 2nd, 2014 at 05:18 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Ok, I will take some pictures for you. I always enjoy yours so I will return some joy back.Wow that's amazing you found that in your literature. I love stuff like that.
    Good deal Steve. I will be at you're shop on Wednesday to drop off the carb for Roger. It will be around 9:00, gotta vet appt. for my dog that's going downhill so be by after it.
    IMG_0456cropthumb

Cool, I'll try to round up that wiper stuff and make sure it works. I never tested it in the car but I can bench test it pretty easy.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I've added 2-speed wipers to both Falcons so far, but in different ways.

The wagon got a stock 2-speed setup from another 65 Falcon. The motor is slightly different and uses the other set of "3 holes" in the bracket. But I had all the bits and used none of the single-speed parts for it.

The Ranchero received one made from the brackets and transmission arms of a single-speed wiper setup (probably the ones I pulled from the wagon so long ago) and the motor and intermittent switch from a 72 F100 and a 80 Bronco respectively.

The F100 2-speed motor is an easy find and I've had no issues installing them as long as I have the Falcon rotating parts and arms. But the 2-speed and intermittent switches are yanked and often gone long before I ever see them. I have found 3 of them so far though at the local bone yards. I have one in the Ranchero and added one to my 67 F100 and have the 3rd awaiting entry under the wagon dash to replace the stock 2-speed switch. Someday. Never been a big priority, as I don't intend to drive it in the rain.

In all, the stock brackets and transmission/arms for the electric wiper Falcon are must to convert from vacuum to electric (single-speed or dual-speed). Going to the dual speed - if you're going to swap at all - is a no-brainer. Your vacuum wipers are already intermittent (in a way) and you'll be driven crazy with the single-speed wiper that is just a little too fast most of the time and not fast enough some of the time. Adding the intermittent switch almost makes the Falcon seem like a new car when you're caught in the rain. Almost.

Just so you know.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"