Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine removal planning

Engine removal planning

Not quite to the stage of engine removal yet...but, the rear axle and suspension is off now (have a welder coming tomorrow to cut out the section in the trunk that needs to be fixed), I'm thinking about going ahead and removing the front suspension (evening work)- which then leads to might-as-well just do all the under car work (rust removal and painting-weekend work) at the same time instead of work back to front in stages as I originally planned. But if I do it all at the same time- might as well remove the engine, but with the car completely on jacks...can't move it any more. How much room do I need to make sure to eave in front of the car in order to be able to have enough space to remove the engine?

Thanks
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Engine removal planning

If using a cherry picker to remove the engine it takes quite a bit of room, I would guess around 8-10 feet would be enough. I turned my car around so the front was at the garage door area because I didn't have enough room at the front of my garage.
    I used furniture movers from harbor freight under the front crossmember to turn the car on and had the metal supports with wheels under the rear tires so I could rotate the car around. Sounds hokey but it worked.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...ies-67511.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/materia...lly-93888.html
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Hey Don I have a set of 4 of those dolly's, you are welcome to use them if you don't want to buy any. They worked great for my 5 year job.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Hey everyone- a related question- on TV...it seems like the tranny often comes out with the engine--is there any problem (or extra hassle) taking out the tranny from the bottom so I can take care of that first and get better access to paint the bottom in that area? or is it just easier to cherry pick it out from the top attached to the motor?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I have done it both ways and it really don't matter which ever you prefer. I took my motor and trans [c4] out last time and didn't even need to remove the hood......ps don't worry about the bolts just put some oil on them and screw them in....jh

Don,

I missed this the first time around, but FYI Gene and I pulled the motor out of my wagon last night with only about 5 feet of space in front of it, if that. Granted this was without the transmission, which would add a little bit, but it is possible to pull a motor with however long the hoist legs are, plus a little.

If the transmission is going to come out anyway, gravity works in your favor. Drop it first and then pull the engine. You wont pour so much oil out on the ground.

As for installing the transmission for insertion, it's far easier to get everything aligned out in the open rather than lying on your back.

Using an engine leveler on the hoist helps change the tilt while pulling or installing, so either way you go - use one of those.

Install everything dry, and then add oil.

For what it is worth, you may be looking at this as another while I'm at it thing, but really, the amount of time it takes to pull a Falcon motor as opposed to working in and around all the stuff you leave in - far and away makes the time pulling it all a no-brainer. The end-result will be better as well.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks everyone...very helpful. Turns out I have about 4 feet at the moment, but I'll take the tranny out, then do all the bottom paint, suspension, fender wells, etc..then put the wheels back on before the engine come out. With the wheels back on I can easily roll the car back 5-6 feet or more with the garage door open. When the engine is out...I plan to do everything that makes sense to do to it while I'm at it.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Tranny removal questions- 3 speed manual

Ok, everything disconnected, bolts loose and ready to pull the 3 speed manual tranny...
    Just want to make sure, but it looks like the best way is to take it out separate from the bell housing and let the bell housing stay on the engine and come out with the engine?
    AND...to take out the tranny,
    After disconnecting everything attached to it-
    1: Take out the two bolts on the rear bracket
    2: Take out the four bolts on the front of the tranny (while supporting the tranny)
    and it comes out?
    Seems almost too simple...just want help fromt the advisory board to make sure.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I've always pulled the bell housing with the transmission. Pulling the trans without bell housing runs into clutch fork problems. When installing it it is a pain to get the transmission input shaft to go through the throw out bearing without knocking it all out of whack.
    With the bell housing left on the trans, you can install the clutch fork, throw out bearing and then all you line up is the bell housing bolts, and transmission input shaft into the pilot bearing.
    Just my 2 cents worth, it basically come down to preference. Six one way half a dozen another.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Ok, the top bolts on the bell housing seem to be much more difficult to get to.
    But if I take those off I can then slip off the whole tranny with the bell housing?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

That is how I pull them. Clutch linkage shift linkage bell housing bolts starter. Support it pull the crossmember and pull.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Got it! Thanks Steve.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Finally! Suspension is back on and it's time to get the engine out.
    Are there a couple people available with a hoist that can help me?
    Anytime Next weekend Saturday or Sunday nov 8 or 9 would be ideal for me, and the next weekend nov 15 or 16 is also good.
    Last edited by dhbfaster; November 2nd, 2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Date corrected!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don, actually next Sat/Sun is 8th & 9th. I'd be available Sat. the 8th or the following weekend (Sat the 15th). I currently have Roger's hoist in my garage and I bet he wouldn't mind if we use it. Do you have an engine stand? I have mine sitting idle in storage and you could use it.
    Gene
    Last edited by SmithKid; November 2nd, 2014 at 02:04 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Gene, that would be fantastic.
    I just realized my son is gone the weekend of the 8th and he wants to be a part of this, so Saturday morning the 15th would be great.
    I don't have an engine stand...so to be able to borrow yours would be great too.
    I also need to get the block shrink wrapped and onto a pallet for shipping to the engine rebuild place after I remove everything from it. I'm thinking I can go ahead and remove most everything while it's still in the car and then we can shrink wrap it after it's pulled and take it directly to the pallet?
    Then supposedly I'll have it back in a couple weeks- at which time I need to get it on to the stand.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree