Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Front Suspension- ALMOST as easy as it looks...

I thought this was it....it was supposed to be the weekend my front suspension was back on. WRONG! The posts on the ball joints on the new Dorman upper and lower control arms are too big! All the websites for these say they will fit 1960-1965 - WRONG. Was I smart enough to compare them to the old ones before I bolted them onto the car? NO The other ones were in a bin at my storage place. Fortunately, Summit just told me they will take them back (even though I put the grease fitting in etc.). Best I can figure out...I see the upper and lower ball joints for Falcons made BEFORE october 61 sold separately. (and they are expensive.) Average $100 EACH BALL. Then I still need the inner bushings. Ouch! (the Dorman parts were around $40 each for the entire control arm including the ball joint.) Is anyone familiar with this situation for 61 falcons? I've emailed Dorman. Maybe I'll know something in the morning. Meanwhile, I still have the rear spring mount to figure out, but darn I wanted to get this thing back on wheels so we could get the motor our soon.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Keep the parts you have and locate newer spindles.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Update:
    Dorman confirms they won't fit my car. I wish these places would get their website information correct. I can't be the first one this has happened to.

I did think about just finding another spindle (and still thinking about that)...but so far it seems like the further I stray from the original...the more challenge I have because one thing leads to another.
    I saw some NORS (new original replacement stock) ball joints on ebay last night. They are a third of the price of bran new ones from the usual websites selling these (which who knows how old those "new" ones are anyway....??) Average $80 per PAIR instead of $100 each for new retail. They specifically say they are for falcons my vintage and not newer. Anyone have any experience with these or with NORS parts with any rubber on them? Should I have any concerns about the rubber boots?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don, you must be subconsciously remembering my post about the upper and lower control arms I just replaced after only 3 years of use. The rubber grease boots - all four of them were perished after a short time of action. Those were equivalent to NOS parts.

The suggestion to get the newer spindles might be worth investigating. I bet someone may have a set laying around. I think only the ball-joint holes were standardized for the 6'r and V8 cars, whereas the tie-rod ends were small of a 6r and larger on a V8 car. So if you can find a set of spindles from a 62-65 the tie-rods should fit, as well as the brake setup.

Sadly I got rid of 2 sets of spindles from the 2 Ranchero's I bought from Steve. I'm sure the one set I left with him is long gone, as is the one I pulled from the one I drove to my house. But it might be worth looking for them before hacking apart upper and lower control arms to change-out the ball joints.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I did subconsciously remember something about that...but didn't find it.
    Anyone have a couple of the matching 6cyl spindles from a 62-65 6 cyl lying around?
    fyi, seems like the old ball joints are just bolted on...replaced at one time before I assume. I think a couple of them are already off of the old arms...so no tearing into them. Just the cost of good new joints (bushings, etc,) and to get the old arms blasted and coated.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don, The upper and lower control arms have bushings and other parts that wear beside the ball joint. If you find the new spindles you might consider reusing the metal parts. They'll likely have Ford date stamps on them too.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Yes, I think I've added all that up-let me know if I missed anything:
    If I use all my old metal suspension parts:

New pair upper balls 90
    New pair lower balls 250
    Pair top inner bracket and bushing (kit from falcon parts) 35
    Pair lower inner bushings 35
    powdercoat my old metal - ($75-guess)
    Total- 485
    Subtract credit from summit - 160
    Real cost 325
    Spend gift cert for macs...-100
    Cash outlay...225

If I find a spindle, I have the cost to clean it up and coat it, plus the cost to buy if assuming nobody has one to donate...guessing cost is 150 for that anyway. If nobody shows up with one soon, I'll probably just pull the trigger on the above list...
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

There looks to be a 64/65 left and right 6'r spindle for $60 each on ebay right now. Free shipping on each.

to find them search: falcon spindle 4-lug

Dang, should have kept mine. Never thought there would be a need.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"