Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: weird noise or vibration

weird noise or vibration

As you know, I changed to a 9" rear end. Also, I was having problems with the rear half of the exhaust pipes rattling against the new rear housing and leaf spring hangers so had that replaced.
    I have driven the car but up until Tuesday had not gotten above 45mph. Well Tuesday I drove the car to the golf course and got up towards 60-70. When at those speeds, I have a noise I will call it. I can also feel it in a vibration. Worries me.
    I have the car up on jack stands right now trying to see if something is amiss. Any input? Checking the driveshaft for issues. Not sure what it is, but if I can't locate the issue, Roger would you be willing to go for a little ride and see what you think. I will keep it under 100. Unless someone wants to race. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Did you use the same Driveline? You were running a 8" before?

If the yoke is setting too deep in the transmission it may be transferring vibration.

It's the TORQUE CONVERTER!!
    No... wait... that was my problem. Your car doesn't have one of those anymore.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

weird noise or vibration

Bill, it is interesting that you mention the driveline. It was an 8" before and when I put the 9" in the car, the old driveshaft was too long. I was going to get it shortened. Took it in and they showed me it was totally worn out. So, made a new one, 4" diameter instead of 3" much beafier u-joints.
    I gave them measurements, but it actually looks a little short. Maybe it isn't in the transmission far enough. Not sure, appreciate your help. Thanks Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

What did put in for a 3rd member ? Is your noise - vibration like a chatter ? What kind of oil are you running ?

1965 Hardtop, 289, Top loader, Torino power disk brakes, Tilt steering, 2 speed int wipers

Mike Spears

Larry,

Of course I'd go for a ride.

You did a lot of swapping of bits in this car... so have you ever checked driveline angles? If you have a smartphone Tremec makes an app for this analysis. If not, Google this. If the angle of the engine and rear end are out of sync from each other, the u-joints in the driveline with not rotate as designed. Not so much a vibration as it is a resistance to movement causing a seeming imbalance. I have a similar issue on my Ranchero - also with all new rear end and driveline, and I think this is the next thing I'm going to be checking on it.

Here's a link to learn about this:

http://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=154

Instructions for use:

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/File/TR...structions.pdf
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; September 6th, 2016 at 12:36 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

weird noise or vibration

Roger, this really makes sense that it is my issue. I didn't think the noise or vibration was coming from the rear end. It felt more like it was related to the driveshaft. That is why I thought maybe it was too short. Thanks and I will check it as soon as I figure how to get it raised up and level. Thanks Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Of course you should check transmission tail-shaft/slip yoke engagement. You should have about 3/4"-1" visually exposed (see note below) - just enough to be able to push the driveline into the transmission a little further when removing the rear u-joint from the 3rd member.

Note: Some early extension housing tail-shaft seals were two depth seals. The end pressed into the transmission was like a regular seal, but it had a rubber dust shield as part of it to protect this otherwise exposed 3/4"-1" part of the slip yoke. This shield kept that part of the driveshaft from rusting, but still allowed you to push the slip yoke into the transmission. Lacking this dust shield you could basically ruin the seal when you pushed the slip yoke into the tail-shaft when removing the driveline; especially if the slip yoke had significant surface rust on it. Not all replacement seals look like this and you should clean any rust off the exposed area of the slip yoke when pulling the driveline.

Factory looking seal:

hw1273_1.987.jpg rnt_7692s_p04_ang.jpg
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; September 7th, 2016 at 12:49 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

weird noise or vibration

Well, as usual Roger has given the advice that I believe is my problem. I went underneath and was going to check pinion angle, but didn't get that far. I found that the traction bars that we made were holding the rear end in a nose down position.
    I took off the rubber bumpers at the front of the bars, and the pinion angle is better, (will have to measure) but now the traction bars are touching the fasteners that hold the leaf springs together. So, I will have to remove the bars, then check pinion angle.
    But that creates another problem. The bars are welded to the leaf spring shock absorber plates where the u bolts attach the rear end to those plates.
    Now, does anyone happen to have a spare set of those plates lying around you want to get rid of.
    Don't know what years will work. I do know that I had to slot the holes just a little in my plates to get the u bolts installed because the diameter of the 9" housing was just a little bigger.
    Thanks for all the help and I will keep you all informed on the progress. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Probably got some small ones for the 6 cyl but not for the V8 and certainly not the big tube 9" - if that's what you have.

You may just have to grind off the welds regardless, since these are not welded where you want them to be.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"