Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: weird noise or vibration

Wow - what an ordeal! If they were original springs, it was probably due anyway. So it's probably good you're doing that.

Have heard good things about Cal-tracs, so will be interested in seeing pictures of these installed!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

weird noise or vibration

Got the new leaf springs and the Caltrac system. The bars are a lot beefier than I expected. Very good quality, they are expensive but now am glad I didn't try making a set. Here is a picture. Will take more during installation and let you know how it goes, good or bad. Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I have leaf spring envy ! I'm curious to see how the 4 leaf will change your ride height. I think it's going to be awesome !!!

1965 Hardtop, 289, Top loader, Torino power disk brakes, Tilt steering, 2 speed int wipers

Mike Spears

weird noise or vibration

I will take some before and after shots of the ride height. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    I will take some before and after shots of the ride height. Larry
    Thank you sir, looking forward to that, and to your observations on the Cal-Tracs. I am considering the Cal-Tracs for my 64. I need something to stop the spring wrap-up, she bounces like crazy under hard acceleration.

Cheers!
    Ken in SSF CA
    Last edited by kbuhagiar; September 26th, 2016 at 03:56 PM.

weird noise or vibration

The pictures of the car now are with the old traction bars off. The car is a lot lower now than it was before I took those bars off. I will try to find side pictures of the car with the bars on, with the bars off like now, and then with the new springs and Caltrac bars on. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

weird noise or vibration

The new leaf springs are installed. The Cal Tracs are installed. The pinion is set 3 degrees up with the transmission 3 degrees down. Hope this works.
    The car is sitting 2 inches higher with the new springs than it did with the old springs. It is still sitting lower than it was with the old traction bars holding it up.
    I am attaching some photos. The first is the car sitting on old springs. The next is on new springs. There are a couple of picks of the cal tracs, the new driveshaft loop, the new exhaust from the mufflers aft, and the new 9" rear nodular rear end.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

weird noise or vibration

The rest of the story. Pics that is.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Very nice.

Is the ride any stiffer with the Cal-Tracs?
    Do they control the wheel hop?

Thanks again.

weird noise or vibration

Haven't had the chance to drive it today. I will tomorrow and am sure the ride will be better. There was zero movement in the rear with those traction bars holding it so tight.
    As far as wheel hop, positive there won't be any, but I will definitely hit it hard tomorrow and let you know.
    Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

weird noise or vibration

Took the test drive today. Well, poop. The weird noise/vibration is still there. At about 70-80 MPH it has a definite vibration. I haven't changed the speedometer gear since changing to the 4-11 gears so estimate actual speed at 60-70.
    The ride with the new leaf springs is excellent. I did not get on it real hard because I want to figure out this vibration/noise first.
    My next task is to remove the rear u-joint and take it and the drive-shaft down and have them checked out. After that, I think the only culprit could be the rear end itself.
    Poopers. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Well that's a bummer. I guess you'll have to give me that ride after all.

I have little doubt, based on what you said, these changes you just did were needed. Hopefully you don't feel as though they were unnecessary.

I'm pretty good at sleuthing these sorts of things out, so let's work out a time, soon, to do a test drive. I would have them check the driveline though. Leave the U-joint in when you do.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"