Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie's Transplant

Freddie's Transplant

Something I have fantasized about doing for a long time seems to be coming to pass...
    As I have told a few of you already, I purchased a wrecked six-cylinder '67 Mustang a while back, at a co-worker's urging and with his help, and now possess the 200 I6 and TWO C4 transmissions (the guy had a spare!) as well as some other bits and pieces from it. I've commissioned a friend/retired ex-co-worker/master mechanic/hot rodder to build the engine. We have torn down the engine, and have been cleaning it up in preparation for a rebuild.
    I am not a pure-restoration kind of guy. I, like my friend, am a hot-rodder at heart. The rebuild is NOT going to be stock! I am going to buy a Classic Inlines aluminum head and build the engine up with hot cam, headers, and a 4-barrel carb. I've established the Dynamic Compression Ratio (what a learning experience that was!) and have ordered the short block rebuild kit. We should be starting on the short block rebuild very soon. I have also sent in the order for most of the rest of the stuff (head, manifold, cam, lifters, rocker assembly, push rods, etc.) but have not sent money due to a delay in establishing shipping costs. I'm hoping this engine will be finished before my friend migrates to Arizona for the winter...
    One thing my friend may not be able to help with much is the installation. He's restoring a '68 Vette in his shop also, and there is no room to move another car in. I don't know, but might this be another opportunity for a Tech Day?
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

That sounds like a fun project. I'll help install when the time comes. I also have all the specialty tools you may need if your friend doesn't.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Count me in! Sounds like a great build...and you know I'm partial to sixes!! I think it would be a blast to help get it installed and hear it start up for the first time.

That's ALWAYS exciting!

Keep us posted and make sure you post some photos as you go along.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I'm very interested in seeing how this all comes out as well. I've got an engine hoist too if you need one as well as all those "other" specialty tools; you know, sledge hammer, hack saw, vise grips, acetylene torch... we'll get that puppy in!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

No fair I wanna play

I so need to move.. I do need a bigger garage.. hmm don't think thats a good enough reason to move though..

Nathan

Hey gary sounds like fun, all you need now is a turbocharger, then the roll bar comes next..where can I find info on the alum. head that you spoke about? I would like to check it out....thanks...john h

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    where can I find info on the alum. head that you spoke about? I would like to check it out.
    http://www.classicinlines.com/
    Patrick Brown

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    ..where can I find info on the alum. head that you spoke about?
    Yeah, where Pat said.

I had started following the Ford Six Performance Forum http://fordsix.com/forum/, sporadically, even before I had acquired a Falcon. On that forum there was this guy who was talking about maybe designing an aluminum head for the little Falcon six. At the time I thought he was nuts and he really had no idea what it would take to do! Well, many years later, that nutty guy is now Classic Inlines! I'm so grateful he took the risk and developed the head that I just HAD to buy one!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Well I think it's kinda cool to have a alum. head on a six, but it sure seems like quite an expense and a lot of work to run the 1/4 mile in 15.** or so seconds. my PT has a 4cyl, turbo, automatic and tips the scale at 3470# alot more than a falcon and still runs in the mid 14's....not sure why they couldn't get it alot lower than that....good luck...john h

A turbo I-6 running 15lbs of boost through a 2 barrel carb. can run a nasty 1/4 in the low tens..

So the aluminum head with the same turbo would probably run quicker..

I say Turbo it!!!

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Twin tandem turbos would be cool. That's when two turbos are inline where one feeds the other. That allows the turbos to be a bit smaller and each tuned to a different RPM band. That plus EFI a two stages of NOS would be a lot of fun .
    Patrick Brown

Whoa!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    I say Turbo it!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Twin tandem turbos would be cool. That's when two turbos are inline where one feeds the other. That allows the turbos to be a bit smaller and each tuned to a different RPM band. That plus EFI a two stages of NOS would be a lot of fun .
    Whoa, guys!
    Can't afford that kinda stuff!! As I said... head, cam, carb and headers. In my youth I had a '65 "Power Pack" Dart: 273, 4-bbl, 10.5:1, hot factory cam. It ran mid-15's on a cold night. If I can achieve similar performance, I would be delighted!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Greetings,

I just joined today and noticed the thread.

If your interested in the CI head, I have one running in my 66' Mustang Coupe. Let me know if you would like to check it out and we can hook up.

<https://home.comcast.net/~tuckerjr3/FordSix/HighPlanViewflash.JPG>

Ric.

Yeah! I think I tried sending you a PM over on the Ford Six forum. I'd like to see your setup, and maybe bring my engine builder along. I'm going to be at the Bickford Ford show in Snohomish this Sunday. That may be a bit far for you, but I think you indicated you sometimes hang out at XXX. Any possibility of meeting there sometime in the next couple of weeks?
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

MacDee,

Oh, I don't know it isn't that far. I will have to wing it on Sunday to see if I can make it. Otherwise, absolutely, it sounds like an impromptu Inline Six show at the XXX would be in order.

See ya soon, Ric.