Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie's Transplant

Thanks, Ric!
    Hope you can make it. If not, we WILL do a XXX meeting!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

So Gary... what's the status of your transplant? haven't heard from you in a while.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

The project is going very slowly...

Frankly, I'm having a bit of trouble getting Mike at Classic Inlines to respond to my efforts to buy parts from him. As I stated in the initial message, I'd ordered all the parts and was waiting for him to tell me the shipping charges so I could sent off the check. Well, that was in August, and I'm STILL waiting!
    I've been bombarding him with e-mails (and actually got through to him by phone, once) and have been able to pretty much keep in touch with him, but so far, no shipment. He insists he has all the parts in stock EXCEPT for the head (another batch coming in a couple of weeks...). We agreed to go ahead and ship everything but the head ASAP. A week ago, he said he would box everything up, weigh it and tell me how much $$ to send. Since then... silence.
    I get the impression he is pretty much an one-man operation, and he's so busy doing "tech" stuff that he doesn't have time to attend to the "business" stuff. (Maybe he needs to hire someone to, you know, fill orders, track inventory and stuff.)
    In the meantime, we've got the block all prepped except for shaving the deck. Carter (my buddy who's building the engine) wants to see the head before committing to zero-decking the block. The rotating assembly is out for balancing.
    Carter "winters" in Arizona, and will be leaving mid-December. I don't hold out much hope of finishing the engine this year. Coincidently, Classic Inlines is in Mesa, AZ, and Carter will probably pay a visit while he's down there.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

I had my block "0" decked. I CC'd the head chambers and came up with 55 and 56 cc's (+/-.05 cc). There were three w/55 and three w/56. You would have to shave the head a bit to get the compression up even with the "0" decking.

I had to wait a bit also, but I'm glad I did. Check out the "Dyno" page on the web site. I'm dyno #4 and wrote up a blurb about what was done to the engine.

Good luck, MacDee.

Ric.
    Ric Tucker
    1963 Tudor
    66 F250 Camper Special
    66 Mustang Coupe CI Alum Head
    72 F100

Gary,

Thanks for the update. Bummer when that stuff happens. You'd think from his site that he's cranking this stuff out, but it's not hard to put on a good front these days -- especially on-line. As 63200i6 said, it will obviously be worth the wait. I for one can't wait to ride in a hot 6 just to know whether to do something like this myself someday. I fear, though, that I may never win another "Best 6" award after you're done.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Update

Well, Mike at Classic Inlines tells me the next batch of heads is on its way... so I sent money. I'm REALLY committed now!
    I ordered the aluminum head, assembled, with "steet" porting. I specified the Clay Smith valve springs and standard-size (untouched, approx 56cc) combustion chambers. Once I get the head, Carter, my builder, will check it out and then we'll make decisions on cc'ing the chambers and milling the head and block. I also ordered the intake manifold, 4-barrel adapter, and, of course, the ARP head stud kit.
    It will be a while before it gets here, I'm sure. The CI web site says to allow "6-8 weeks (or longer)" and I'd bet the "or longer" applies here. I suspect Freddie will finish this season's shows with the 170 still in place!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Sorry to hear it's coming along so slowly, Gary, but this is all going to be worth it when it's done. Can't wait to see it!
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

Head's Almost Here!!

Freddie's new head HAS BEEN SHIPPED!
    The UPS tracking tool shows it has moved from Mesa to Pheonix to Salt Lake over the past couple of days. It departed from Salt Lake in wee hours this morning presumably on its way to Seattle. Maybe I'll get it tormorrow?

I'll have to have an unveiling party or something.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Bring it to the meeting if you get it in time.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Head Arrived!

It came yesterday!!!
    It sits in its box just inside our front door. I'm afraid to open it for fear that it will be instead be a subscription to a jelly-of-the-month club (ref Chevy Chase's Chistmas Vacation). I'll be taking it over to Carter's place on Saturday so he can proceed with the build.
    Last edited by MacDee; September 4th, 2009 at 01:18 PM.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

'nother Update

Yes, the head, intake manifold and head studs arrived and are all now over at Carter's place waiting to be fitted to the engine. I also bought a new 390-cfm Holley 4-bbl, a reconditioned dual-advance distributor, Pertronix II ignition kit, Flamethrower 45kv distributor and wires.

We're in the middle of rebuilding the tranny right now so not much is happening with the engine. We're pretty much following Kenny's lead with the C4, using his well-done web site and his recommended resources. One difference is that I had the torque converter stall speed modified ('bout 2600). Found a place in Auburn that could do it.

As I said earlier, I'm still very anxious about the installation. Carter's place isn't very convenient for doing the swap, and besides he is going in for an operation in October and will be out of commission for a while after that. My garage has a low ceiling and my driveway slopes significantly so I'm doubting I'll be able to do it safely there. Does anyone know of, or have, a place that could have a disabled bird stuck there for a few days?

I'm really looking forward to the drive to the muffler shop...uncorked!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Why did you not gor with the Duraspark II distributor? Also, why dual vacuum? I though that was one of the eighties emition things.

You can use my driveway if you like. We could even paint the engine bay with a decent single stage paint from a paint gun.
    Patrick Brown

And I'm right nearby to lend a hand!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

It's not a dual-vacuum distributor, but a mechanical-vacuum unit. A vacuum diaphragm AND fly weights. The distributor that came on the 200 was a vacuum-only unit. I had considered the DUI ignition that Classic Inlines sells, but decided it was an expensive over-kill for the this engine. I know this will sound silly, but the Duraspark distributor just looks funny! I like the idea of a "stock" distributor updated with top-of-the-line Pertronix. Open the hood and you'll see what looks like a period-correct distributor and a coil, just like you would with a stock engine. For some reason, that just appeals to me.

Pat, thank you for your offer! I especially like the idea of beautifying the engine bay with the engine out. I was (am?) concerned I just wouldn't have time to do that if we were in banzi-swap mode, just trying to get her running as quick as possible. I think rattle-can Rustolium black would be sufficient for the black areas. I would like to try to match the baby blue as close as possible for the small area at the top of the firewall and the underside of the hood.

I'm assuming Carter and I will have the engine and trans finished before he goes in for surgery. That would put it in October some time. I'll try to nail down a date better the next time I see him.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Quote Originally Posted by MacDee View Post
    The distributor that came on the 200 was a vacuum-only unit.
    Are you quite sure about that. I've not seen a distributor, produced after the 30's, that didn't have mechanical advance.
    Patrick Brown