Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Freddie's Transplant

Because you have to have valve function to start the motor, lifters are pumped up via the oil gallery, which "usually" sees the oil from the pump first to get them functioning first. They fill via a hole in their side and bleed out from the top to push oil up the push-rods to the lifters so that oil gets to all the upper valve-train. So it is really rare to get them not to pump up under 40 PSI of pressure. They have to be really broken.

The cam bearings also get oil first along with the lifters, so the reason I asked about where the offending lifter was is to see maybe perhaps a cam bearing was installed wrong and blocking the oil path. Doubt it now if only one lifter is acting up.

Bummer deal no less.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Although... now that I think of it, I think the 200 gets its oil to the head via the head bolt passage and the upper rocker assy oils all the top bits. I was in V8 mode.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Pull the head and change the lifters. Do it now before there is more damage. Wiping a lobe means tearing the motor about to clean out the metal bits that will go everywhere. You don't want that.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I guess even with only one new lifter you will want to remember to do the fast RPM break in routine.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Wiping a lobe means tearing the motor apart to clean out the metal bits that will go everywhere.
    Is there a way to tell if the lobe hasn't already been "wiped"? As I said, it's been this way since... well... all along, I guess.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Pulling a lifter and looking at the lobe is really about it Gary. Wouldn't cause the lifter to not pump up though, I don't suspect.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Tech Day?

So...
    Apparently the cam lobe at the offending lifter can be checked by verifying its lift. Carter fabricated a checking "push rod" that centers itself and rides on the lip of the lifter body. It can used for checking and comparing lift.

Would it be possible to get some help with this some weekend in early April?

Roger, you said you have a dial indicator? Will it work with an aluminum head?
    Does anyone have a 13/16" box wrench (for turning the engine manually). My wrench set only goes up to 3/4", and there isn't room between the damper and the radiator for a socket wrench. (If not, I'll GET one....)
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

It is magnetic, but that won't be a issue. We'll rig-up something.

Set a date and let's see what we can do.

I'm sure, also, I have a 13/16 wrench.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"