Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Freddie's Transplant

An

Hello, Gary.

"Whew! I hope I didn't bore you too badly."

No! That was all very interesting. I have studied carburetors and cam shafts but always took the distributer for granted. I pulled out an engine description for my 260 and verified that its distributer has "centrifugal vacuum advance".

I went back to the beginning of this thread on page 21 and have read so far up to page 15. Wow! You have gone though some struggles. That is an amazing setup, though, with the aluminum head, intake manifold, and custom headers. Jazzing up a V-8 is routine, but I've never read in detail about building a high-performance inline six. That is really cool.

I'll resume where I left off on page 15. It is like reading a novel and I want to see how it ends!

Later, Dennis.

Well, I Get a RE-DO...

I now have first-hand experience with a "wiped cam".
    I was driving to a car show in late June, when, all of a sudden, the engine started making awful metal-to-metal noises with a corresponding degradation in engine performance. It didn't quit, just ran really bad, and I was able to nurse it off to a parking lot where I called AAA. I had it towed home, and after agonizing about what to do next, decided to remove the head to "see the damage". When I removed the head, lo and behold, THERE WAS NO DAMAGE. At least none I could see in the cylinders or the head.
    Subsequently, I had her towed to Long's Car Care Center in Woodinville, where I have commissioned Randy Long to do "whatever necessary" to get her back on the road.
    Upon disassembly, sure enough, the cam was "wiped". It appeared to be the #5 cylinder, where both lifters were severely damaged; one of them had the whole bottom wiped away! There is some minor scoring in the cylinders and on the crank journals from "metal in the oil", but I haven't heard yet if it is bad enough to need machine work. I bought a new cam, a much more conservative one, and took it in with the car.
    Needless to say, it doesn't look like Freddie will be making the trip to the Mini-Regional.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Freddie's Transplant

Wow Gary! That is truly bad news. Keep us informed on how the repairs go, and do you know what causes this kind of damage so it doesn't happen to me? Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

1. Lack of zinc in oil... but I suspect there's more involved
    2. Over adjusted rocker arms... added to the bad oil.
    3. Plugged oil gallery that supplies oil to the lifters in cylinder 5.

If it was just the oil the all the lifters would show wear.

So my guess is problem 2 or 3..

Though I'm sure todays oils don't help.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Zinc

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    1. Lack of zinc in oil... but I suspect there's more involved. Though I'm sure todays oils don't help.
    I have used 5W-30 oil with Cam-Shield ZDDP additive in my re-built stock 260. Then I had an oil guy tell me that the additive changes the chemistry of the oil and I was better off using 15W-40 diesel oil. The diesel oil is supposed to have enough zinc.

What oil do you guys use?

See: "Another alternative is to use heavy-truck diesel-oil, which is formulated for 18-wheelers and at present still has a full complement of traditional anti-wear additives that have been significantly reduced in today's street-legal passenger car oils. (Though even diesel oils will start reducing zinc content in 2007 as big rigs gear up to receive catalytic converters.) Comp Cams swears by Shell Rotella T diesel oil for use in high-performance street cars."

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...#ixzz3A8scveys
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Diesel oils no longer have zinc in them either. New semis have catalytic converters and exhaust filters. That's why the fuel is now ultra low sulfur and the oil has been changed.

I run Valvoline vr1 racing oil. Usually in a 20-50 for summer 10-30 for winter.

Valvoline has vr 1
    Kendall has gt 1
    Lucas has a classic car formula
    Amsoil has a classic car formula
    Joe Gibbs racing """""""""
    Schaffer's. """""""""""""

There are probably other oils that have zinc additives.

There's also the replacement zinc additives you can buy.. I know the hyper lube zinc additive doesn't contain zinc..
    Comp cams, edelbrock, Lucas, and others sell bottles of zinc replacement.
    Stp in the blue bottle iirc contains zddp which is a zinc replacement. Problem is I couldn't get anyone at stp to tell me how much zinc in parts per million the bottle contained nor how much ppm it would be mixed with 5 quarts of oil.

For good oil info check out bob the oil guy...
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    1. Lack of zinc in oil... but I suspect there's more involved
    2. Over adjusted rocker arms... added to the bad oil.
    3. Plugged oil gallery that supplies oil to the lifters in cylinder 5.
    #1) My engine builder used SAE 30 with ZDDP additive. I've been using Kendall GT1 Platinum 20-50 specifically because it has ZDDP.
    #2) Have always seemed to have an issue with valve adjustment. No matter what I did, or how many times I did it over, I ended up with noisy lifters.... I wonder if I just had some bad lifters?
    #3) My engine builder was particularly good at ensuring all galleries are clean. But... who knows.

Two possibilities Randy and I came up with is 1) inadequate break-in, and 2) too much valve spring pressure. I had ordered the "302" springs with dampers from Classic Inlines, but they sent the hell-for-bent compound springs, the strongest springs they sell... so we used 'em.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Im thinking it was your springs..

And damage to the rocker assembly?
    Any wear on other lifters?
    How are the valve stems or the valve seats? High spring pressure should have hammered the valves.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

One broke rocker early on and now this? I say valve springs and probably break-in issues since it was not a sure-fire start-up and break-in. Unless you're going to race this you don't have to worry about ultra heavy springs. Time to regroup and think about this with intended use and learning from what's happened so far.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"