Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Freddie's Transplant

While I'm here, a question about the forum; Why does the new post end up on the top of the page half the time, and half the time at the bottom/end of the thread? Took me a few drives around the block to get here

I'm totally with Gary on the distributor issue; Ever since I saw my first Duraspark I knew I didn't want one. Don't like the looks of the MSD boxes and extra wiring either, and like my engine bay as clean and simple as possible...

As for the vacuum advance, he's right on that point too; Ford didn't put mechanical advance in (at least) the small six dist. until '67, the reason a '67 one barrel carb will work, but not properly on an earlier engine without swapping in the later dist. The later carbs were built with different internal circuitry to pull a different amount of vacuum through the line to the dist. to compensate for the added mechanical advance. And now you know more than you ever cared to about stock 6cyl ignition/carburetion
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

While I'm here, a question about the forum; Why does the new post end up on the top of the page half the time, and half the time at the bottom/end of the thread?
    I have never seen that. The default is for new posts (replies to existing threads) to always go to the bottom. You can override that in the your account settings but I doubt you did that.

Notice that any unread post/thread will have a small blue arrow next to it. Clicking on that will take you to the first unread post. Clicking the title of the thread will always take you to the top of the thread where you will have to scroll down to find the unread posts.

I'm totally with Gary on the distributor issue; Ever since I saw my first Duraspark I knew I didn't want one. Don't like the looks of the MSD boxes and extra wiring either, and like my engine bay as clean and simple as possible...
    Not that the DS2 distributor cab is just a cap adapter with a big ugly cap on it. Underneath is a normal small sized dizzy. Just get a 200 cap and rotor and you'll have a DS2 with a small cap.

You would still need an ignition box. The upside is if you are on a long drive you'll be able to get a replacement part at the nearest part store. I don't think that would be true for the Ignitor. Keep in mind that I don't have anything against the Ignitor.

As for the vacuum advance, he's right on that point too; Ford didn't put mechanical advance in (at least) the small six dist. until '67, the reason a '67 one barrel carb will work, but not properly on an earlier engine without swapping in the later dist. The later carbs were built with different internal circuitry to pull a different amount of vacuum through the line to the dist. to compensate for the added mechanical advance. And now you know more than you ever cared to about stock 6cyl ignition/carburetion
    I stand corrected. I had to go look it up. What a dumb design.
    Last edited by pbrown; September 7th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I stand corrected. I had to go look it up. What a dumb design.
    Yes, Yes it is...

It's also why its difficult to determine if its a carb or faulty Spark Control Valve

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Yes it is stupid design indeed. This is why I can't wait to get everything back together with my milled head, and Pony Carbs one barrel with my later distributor (need to get it re-curved). I've never driven this car with the correct carb/dist combination on a 200, and am looking forward to seeing how much better it runs. It won't be the same HP gain Gary will be experiencing, sadly..

Nathan - I've gotten rebuilt kits for my 1101, and the new spark control valve seems "stuck" if you try and push on the spring; Have no idea how you tell if it's bad or not. Luckily I'm saying goodbye to all that soon.
    Last edited by Sedanman; September 7th, 2009 at 10:33 PM.
    Thor Johnson
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

I'm sure there is a way to test the spark control valve system but I never bothered to learn how..I'm sure its in the manual or on the Ford six website..

I'm currently collectiong all the parts to put a 250 in my blue 61 futura
    The 250 is getting longer rods from a 2.5L taurus and a custom ground cam. If I did the math right I should be around a ten to 1 compression ratio and i wont have a SCV system anymore.. I'm using a 73 Dura Spark set up which uses the stock six dizzy cap..

and I'm currently rebuilding a 170 for my wife's ranchero.. the 170 is getting bigger valves and a Ford 250 six cam grind.. I want to see how the 250 cam specs work in a 170...

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Sad Update

Well, we had a setback....
    The engine was all ready to go back together. We'd finished all the block machine work, did the final cleaning, applied rust inhibitor in the cylinders and deck in preparation for subsequent final assembly when the block fell off of the cart it was sitting on and hit the floor. At first it looked like there was no damage, but later while gapping the rings, it became apparent the #1 cylinder had been distorted by the blow.
    We don't know yet if it is repairable. That cylinder had been previously sleaved. Perhaps it can be salvaged with re-sleaving. However, I need to start beating the bushes for another block... just in case. We've done too much, and come too far to abandon the project!
    So...
    Anyone who might have a rebuildable 1966 or newer 200 block (or engine), I would like to hear from you!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Gary,

Sorry to hear about the news I do have an extra '65 block (crank, rods, pistons, front cover, pulley but no pan or head) at my parents' house in Bellevue that I'm sure my dad would love to see gone. I've offered it to Kenny previously - please check with him first but if he doesn't want it I'll make you a deal. Even have a hoist there to load it with and a stand you can borrow if you like. PM'ing you my phone number as I'm not online much right now.

T
    PS - '65 and '66 blocks are the same; '67 was the first year of the dual bellhousing pattern.
    Last edited by Sedanman; October 4th, 2009 at 01:55 PM.
    Thor Johnson
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan

If Gary wants the block it's all his. If not, I would go up to the Pull-a-Part and see if they have any good donors. And grab the throttle cable assembly while you're at it! I also see them come up on craigslist fairly often.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Quote Originally Posted by Sedanman View Post
    Gary,

Sorry to hear about the news I do have an extra '65 block (crank, rods, pistons, front cover, pulley but no pan or head) at my parents' house in Bellevue that I'm sure my dad would love to see gone. I've offered it to Kenny previously - please check with him first but if he doesn't want it I'll make you a deal. Even have a hoist there to load it with and a stand you can borrow if you like. PM'ing you my phone number as I'm not online much right now.

T
    PS - '65 and '66 blocks are the same; '67 was the first year of the dual bellhousing pattern.
    Thank you, Thor!
    I appreciate your offer, but, unfortunately I do need the later '67 or later block. My block is (was?) a '67 and we've already finished rebuilding the C4 that mates up to it.
    If nothing else turns up, I may come back to you. I'm really in no hurry since I've called off the swap day. I really want to find a later block that can still be bored to +.040 (I know... GOOD LUCK!!). If I can find one like that, we'll save the pistons we've got and the balance we've already accomplished. I'm going to wait as long as I can for a block like that to maybe surface.

Thanks again, Thor. I really, REALLY appreciate your offer!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Back In Business?

Some good news...maybe?
    We found another block (whole engine actually). It's a later block so it will mate to my C4, it's only been bored +.030, and isn't appreciably worn. The "?" comes from the fact that it had been sitting outside, under a tarp... for six years! When we first looked at it, it would not turn. We feared rust up the gazoo in the cylinders. We pulled head to discover there was some water, and some rust, is a couple of the cylinders. After spending some time scraping at the rust with a knife, Carter thought it might possible to shave the rust out with another .010. We got a good enough deal that we decided to take the risk. Carter has since torn the engine all the way down and done some clean-up on the block. When I last saw it (last Saturday), he hadn't bored it yet, but he seemed confident the cylinders would clean up with another .010 (out to +.040).

If nothing else [bad] happens, Carter thinks he can finish the engine before he goes in for knee surgery on October 21. However, there won't be enough time to fab up a test stand and run it.

It might be possible to go ahead and do the swap in a couple of weeks and fire it up in the car. Frankly, I'm not too eager about doing a swap in the cold and rain, so I'm inclinced to stick to my "next spring" decision to do the swap. That would give Carter time to recover and build the test stand, and me more time to think (worry?) about throttle and transmission linkage.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

That is good news Gary. I'll keep my fingers crossed that is cleans up okay.

As for your throttle and tranny linkage, Lokar had a very nice setup. Here is a photo of mine. You won't have to worry about carb orientation. You can even use this with a stock style cable pedal if you like.

Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    That is good news Gary. I'll keep my fingers crossed that is cleans up okay.

As for your throttle and tranny linkage, Lokar had a very nice setup. Here is a photo of mine. You won't have to worry about carb orientation. You can even use this with a stock style cable pedal if you like.
    Thanks, Pat!
    Well, it didn't clean up as well as we'd hoped. Carter had to take it out to +.060 to get through the rust on the cylinder walls. We'll be buying new pistons and rings, and re-launching the project probably early next year.

Thanks to everyone who provided advice, support, condolence etc.! We'll get back into it soon!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Gary,
    If you want to recoupe some of your loss, I might be interested in those pistons.. Did you already hang the pistons on the rods? sounds like you have, but maybe I can still use them..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    Gary,
    If you want to recoupe some of your loss, I might be interested in those pistons.. Did you already hang the pistons on the rods? sounds like you have, but maybe I can still use them..

Nathan
    Thanks for the offer, Nate!
    However,
    1) The rods ARE already fitted;
    2) The pistons are flat-top. If you use them with a stock head you'll have WAY TOO MUCH compression. The CI aluminum head has larger chambers than stock heads; thus the need to use flat-top pistons.

If you're still interested...
    I have one more block to look at this weekend. If it doesn't pan out, the +.040 [flat-top] pistons might be available.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Gary,

The 200 uses the same pistons as the 250, which I'm building.. so flat tops aren't an issue, but the rods being hung is an issue.
    IRC the 250 rods are longer than the 200, which means I need to use my rods. Actually I'm using a set of 2.5L taurus rods to long rod the engine.

I have a set of standard pistons that arent fitted with rings, That I planned on using if I can keep the block standard bore. Havent taken the block to dennis yet.. I have a builder who now knows everything he'll ever want to know about ford sixes.. He's built two for me and is currently building two more for other customers..

So if there is a way to save those pistons I might still be interested..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper