Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power Rack and Pinion Project

Here is a photo of the progress.

Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Patrick,, it looks like it's comming along well, will it clear a stock pan? or is yours the same as stock...how close to the starter does it come? sure hope it's better than the old box..but then, anything should be better than the old box...john h

will it clear a stock pan? or is yours the same as stock
    It looks to be just touching. I have a Milodon pan that is a stock style unit. It looks like it needs to be cleaned. The instructions mention having to shim the engine up a bit in some applications. I picked up some grade eight washers this morning. I try to add them between the frame mounts and the intermediate mount and see what happens. I don't think it needs much.

...how close to the starter does it come?
    It's close to the starter but doesn't touch. There is still room for the transmission coolant line to make it through.
    Patrick Brown

So how's it going ? patrick..by the way did you sell the R&P you had up at the swap? if not I will take it off your hands,,,for $$ ? thanks ....john h

So how's it going ?
    I did some work tonight. I'm sorting out the column stuff now. I still need to shim up the engine a bit.

..by the way did you sell the R&P you had up at the swap? if not I will take it off your hands,,,for $$ ?
    It didn't sell on Saturday. I suspect that is didn't sell Sunday either. It's yours for $40.
    Patrick Brown

I guess you didn't get this PM I thought I sent you guys -- apparently only Kenny got it:

Well today was v - e - r - y slow and the only thing that sold was some rack-n-pinion which I don't know who's was -- but I left the booth to be tended by my friend Bill and he took $20 for it. I never even noiced it though I probably moved it a dozen times I'm sure.
    Sorry about that...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I did a bit more today. I have the U-joints in place. I had to drop the rack to get them in. It was too tight to just slide on.

The column has been modified and painted.

The plumbing is done. I used Russell teflon lined high pressure stainless line and matching -6 AN ends. I only stabbed myself once. Those of you that have built stainless hose assemblies know what I'm talking about.

I have the column in the car temporarily. I need to do some work down at the firewall where the column goes through. There is a 2.5 turn lock to lock with this system.

I found that the kit included motor mount spacers. I installed those and the rack clears the pan perfectly. That was fun laying under an engine with one mount off.
    Patrick Brown

R&P

So how is it going patrick.. are we on the road yet? waiting for a report, or maybe you went away for the holiday....john h

WE must read minds... check out the time of the last posts

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    WE must read minds... check out the time of the last posts
    Spooky.........
    Patrick Brown

More progress. I mounted the column with the lower column support. It seems that the intermediate shaft sent with the kit is one inch too long. I guess that is better than too short. Anyway, I took a measurement if the distance between the upper and lower U-joint and make the cut. I'm now at a point where I need a helper to insert the column while I line up the U-joints and shaft. I tried doing in solo but it just won't work .

I also have to go to Schucks for the third time to find the right length V belt. The first was just a bit too short. I returned that and asked for a belt that was 1" longer. It is actually about 6" too long . I might just go buy four or so belts and return the ones that I don't use.
    Patrick Brown

Pat, I can come over this weekend for a couple of hours if no need. Call me. Jeff

I was able to get more done this morning thanks to Jeff. We have the column mounted and U-joints connected and tightened. All of the critical bolts have thread locker on them.
    We had to make run to Schucks to get the right belt. This was the third attempt at getting the right size. The new belt fit great.

I still need to connect the horn and turn signal wiring for the column. I'll either do that this evening or tomorrow.

I installed the front wheels and took the car off the jack stands. I can say that the turning effort is greatly reduced. I'll take it out for a test drive tomorrow and will take it for an alignment on Tuesday.

There are some issues to work through:

1) The upper column section didn't allow the steering wheel to go on far enough. I have about a 1/4" gap from the back of the wheel to the column flange. This means that the horn and the turn signal cancelers won't work. I need to contact RRS to get there advice.

2) The horn button won't go on. The new shaft protrudes too far for the horn ring to seat. It looks like I can just drill a hole in the horn contact plate with a step drill.

3) There is a small amount of play there the upper and lower column sections go together. We pulled the upper section and added axle grease and this seems to help with the noise.

4) There is nothing to prevent a driver from pulling the entire steering wheel and upper column section right out of the car if they were to give it a good pull. I don't know what I think about this. The later Mustang columns use a bearing retainer. The early Falcon does not. I'll do some research and see how I might resolve this.
    Patrick Brown

It sounds like it's coming along well, there is always some bugs in projects,not sure why,but there is...your old pitman arm is it a 6cyl or a V8 type??I met a guy that need a V8 type and maybe the old box..thanks john h

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    your old pitman arm is it a 6cyl or a V8 type??I met a guy that need a V8 type and maybe the old box..thanks john h
    My old stuff is all 65 V8 Manual Falcon stuff. The pitman arm has a 1" sector shaft hole. The idler arm is the two bolt style. The center link is a reproduction 65 Falcon unit.

Sadly, the steering box did not come out in one piece. I tried. I kept removing anything that was in the way until I realized that the engine was in the way. I wasn't willing to pull the engine to save a worn out steering box. What is left of it is in my recycle bin.
    Patrick Brown