Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scarebird Information

SECOND Reply

I swear I already replied to this once! Maybe I forgot to push the "do it" button....
    Mark Janis told me he would give a discount to anyone on the Falcon List. I tried get clarification, thinking he meant to give a discount only to Rainier Falcons members, but he said he would give it to anyone on the list. I guess that means you just have to tell him you found out about Scarebird from the Falcon List (or now the Falcon Forum).
    Just say that you heard he would give a discount to members of the Falcon Forum when you order.
    For what it's worth, he was working on a design for custom hubs for the Falcon 4-lug kit because of the problems we had with mine. If that becomes part of the kit, I'd bet it will cost quite a bit more...
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Thanks Gary. I was intending to post something about that after the meeting but spaced it off.

I was just thinking, I wonder if Mark ever thought to have special lug bolts made that had a little bigger shank where it presses into the hub? I'm sure that 8 bolts would be less of a cost to get made then a pair of custom hubs. I'm sure there's some fabrication company somewhere that can produce a small batch (a few thousand).

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Special Studs

Thanks, Kenny! I'll put a bug in Mark's ear.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

There is a thread on TFFN where Mark was getting feedback on building his own hubs to eliminate the machining and lug nut problems.

http://www.tffn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10733
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Dan Guest
    I believe there is a way to use your 13" wheels. I would contact scarebird. seems i saw something form them that said it would not work but there was a note. May require some mods.

Dan Guest
    This is probably ? for scarebird but thought I might throw this ? out too. Is there a disc brake combo that would allow me to also go from 4 bolt to 5 bolt on my 6 cyclinder falcon?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    This is probably ? for scarebird but thought I might throw this ? out too. Is there a disc brake combo that would allow me to also go from 4 bolt to 5 bolt on my 6 cyclinder falcon?
    Yes there is.

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/AbsCatalogPag075.html
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

What was the time you had involved in installing this kit? I am considering doing this kit on a couple of cars and wanted a rough time estimate so I can beg for garage time from my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by 61ranch View Post
    What was the time you had involved in installing this kit? I am considering doing this kit on a couple of cars and wanted a rough time estimate so I can beg for garage time from my wife.
    Well, we had a bunch of the guys from the club over to help. Roger did most of the work, and he's pretty efficient. I say all this because we actually got it done in one Saturday. The most time-consuming part was fabricating/modifying brake lines, and chasing fittings. As much as I tried to have everything ready to go, we still had to go out and search for parts during the day.

I think if I had tried to do this myself, it would have taken a month of weekends! Now that I've been through it once, I think I could do it myself in a couple of weekends...or maybe even just one.

If you do decide to try this, let me know. I could sure give you some tips, and I might even try to get over to help!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

I agree with Gary. Have all the parts there and you could actually do it in a few hours. It's a pretty straight-forward kit. I detailed it in the last newsletter as well, so be sure to have a look at that. (Don't know for sure whether that newsletter is up in PDF yet, or not -- but it would be better to see it all in color if it is). You'll need another person there to bleed the brakes, unless like me you have a one-man bleeder handy. Just have the band-aids available when your bleeding.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"