Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Floor pans - Rust

Floor pans - Rust

Any thoughts on replacing sections of rusty floor pans?

Cut to exact size and butt weld... or cut large overlap and inch or so? If you overlap have you welded from both sides or just seam seal the "raw" side.

What gauge steel?

Oh... I have lots of thoughts... none of them good.

I've done it both ways. I find the overlap method to be the easiest and you can then do a simple spot-weld method to put it in and use seam sealer on top and undercoating (the thick brush on stuff) underneath. It'll outlast any of us if the car's taken care of. Doing stitch welding of every inch is very time consuming and you have to move from side to side and minimize the weld sections to about 2" per side to keep warpage to a minimum. It's a floor, so it's not that critical, but all the more reason to do it the easier way. As for metal, get the repop pans if you can.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Butt weld them if you have the welding skills. Otherwise, a 1/2" lap joint will work. Weld from the top and seal from the bottom. Use 18g steel or buy whole floor sections depending on the amount of rust. I replaced a toe board on mine with a repop version. The quality was bad and I could have done better forming it from new steel.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I've also done that both ways as well -- making my own and buying repop pans. Repops are usually "bad" if you're hoping they will fit in perfect (and they never do), but there are a lot of compound curves in a floor and personally I think it's far easier to massage bad repops to fit than it is to make them from scratch using totally flat sheetmetal. Of course there are also a few different places making these things. Our Falcon stuff isn't as refined, as say, those made for the Mustang.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I have a full set of right and left full length floor pans from Dearborn Classics that I got for a Falcon years ago but sold the car before I used them that I'd be willing to sell if you're looking for a set.

Roger,

Thanks for assuming that I think that repop pans fit perfectly . I've been doing this for a while and know that they don't. The part I bought looked like someone took a flat piece of steel and bent a curve into it over a piece of pipe. It really was a peice of crap. Your mileage may very.
    Last edited by pbrown; March 28th, 2009 at 11:05 PM.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Actually, I don't know what I was thinking. Sorry if that came across the wrong way. I'm just typing faster than I'm thinking at the moment since I'm a little behind on posting... but of course mileage really does vary. I've purchased some pans that fit really well, and some that look like the one you mention. Unfortunately not everyone is like you or I who can do it either way, so for most people who'd read this I would still recommend the repops (if available) because they are "usually" bad but not so bad as can't be coerced into place with a little (OK, a lot of) blood-letting.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"