Thread: Clutch question

Clutch question

This might be more directed at Brian but anyone that has an opinion please feel free.
    1962 Econoline van, 200 6 cyl, 3 speed trans. What size clutch do I need? I have been told it can be an 8" or a 10". I am leaning towards an 8" which I should have replaced when I swapped the engine but trying to save money took a chance. Throw out bearing is noisy and got some good chatter when engaging the clutch, or would it be disengaging?
    Anyway I did not want to replace it because I want to swap to an auto but that might be a while so I would rather drive it now and swap later. thanks everyone.

I have a C4 on mine so I don't have personal experience, but from what I've read the 170 models had the 8" clutch tranny while the 240 models had the 10". You can probably look it up at NAPA under Falcon and find the parts you need, you would be surprised at how many parts interchange between the sedans and vans. Here are a couple of threads that might help:

http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t...clutch-shudder
    http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t...ch-disc-source

Ultimately pulling it out and measuring would be the 100% way to know. Might want to replace the springs while you're in there... Oh no, I feel a WIAI coming on...
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Thanks Brian, I am 98% positive I have an 8 1/2 incher which nobody can seem to locate?? Time to bust out the catalogs. i was hoping to find one quick and change it this weekend. Might have to trailer the Van and drive it around down there and change it later... Bummer...

Mac's has most of what you need:

http://macsautoparts.com/search.asp?...Clutch&x=0&y=0

You can use the original ford part numbers to see if you can get it closer to home.
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

The 8.5" clutch is what I'm guessing, but Nathan said there was also a 9" version available if your bell-housing was the later (larger) size. The pre-65's 200ci block was always the small 8.5" clutch. Very small for a van. Small for a wagon or Ranchero too, but that's what I have in both mine.

Interestingly, when I look at RockAuto they list a 10" clutch with the 170CI motor. Don't ask me how they got a 10" behind that - if they did. Might need a picture of that end of things.

They have the 8.5" kits too, but you got to look for them in the Mustang section for some reason. They're all the same now. I did buy a full kit recently from Nathan just to add to my "stock pile" - so I know they're out there.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"