Thread: Steering wheel restoration

Talking Steering wheel restoration

Hello everyone,

wondering if some of you have had success with painting a steering wheel and if powder coating is a better option. Forgive me if i have asked this question before, I had to work on my honeydoo list before I could get back to my car. thanks

Sean

I restored my steering wheel. I don't think you can powdercoat it though, since I'm not sure the powder would cling and I don't think you'd want to put the wheel into a 450 degree oven.

Get a can or two of the correct hard-plastic compatible interior color for your car (Dearborn Classics or maybe the right color from a Mustang parts supplier) and get some 2-part epoxy putty to fill any cracks. After the cracks are filled and cured sand it all smooth. Now start laying on the paint after masking the areas you don't want overspray on. I had to do do each side about 3 or 4 times. Then I used scotch brite to sand it smooth, which gets into the corners and ribs. Then I used a polishing compound to get it to a finished, but not too shiny surface, And that was that.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"