Thread: Project car: 63 convertible

63vert Guest

Project car: 63 convertible

Hi-
    I met some members in 2006, just after I bought a ’63 convertible, at Golden Gardens. I exchanged some eMails on the old list-serve, but really wasn’t active when the group switched over to the new format (which is very nice by the way!).
    Anyway after sitting in the garage for a year I was thinking about selling the vehicle, but our youngest boy has been a trooper and repeatedly told me he wants to drive the car when he is older…so I had it towed to a garage where they got it all mechanically sound. I will be picking it up Wednesday, but then…?
    The car needs some body work: rear 1/4 panels, and such. I searched the forum and came across Elhot Metal Fabrication. I’m happy to order the body panels, but can anyone pass along the name of a reasonably priced shop that works on older cars.
    I could really use the advice of those who have been down this road before with regard to bodywork, paint, trim and a windshield (of all things). The car could also be used for group projects like prepping for paint and trim installation if people are interested in that kind of activity. Time is not an issue (but I’d like to be at Golden Gardens in ’08)…but unfortunately space is: we have a single garage and no level ground. But we throw a mean barbq!
    I have a short list of needed items that I will post over the weekend.
    Thanks again for any suggestions you can throw my way,
    Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us again. And I'm glad you decided to keep the Falcon. I really like the `63 Convertibles and they're one of the more collectible early Falcons.

Elliot at Elhot Metal Fab is a great guy to put in the patch panels and fix any other rusted areas. He did a lot of work on Pat's `62 and it looks great. I'm not sure who to have do the final body filler work and primer/paint. It's getting tough to find shops willing to work on older cars.

I went to a shop in Woodenville called Fenders and Fins to get an insurance claim estimate a few years ago. They seemed like a good shop. They have a website at http://www.fendersandfins.com/

Keep us informed on the progress and I hope we can have a BBQ someday to help with a project or two. Until then, see you at a future gathering!

Feel free to post any questions you have as you take on the restoration. I'm sure someone can help or point you in the right direction.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

63vert Guest
    Hi Kenny-
    Thanks for the kind words. I am sure that I will have questions...lots of questions. If I remember correctly you live in Ballard, I'm planning to take the car to Jake's at some point (to check out the interior). I will let you know when and perhaps I can swing by and show you the car.

Elliot is great and can take care of all your metal fab needs. As Kenny stated, he did a lot of work to my car. I'll be working on it all weekend if you want to stop by and see what was done. Have Elliot go through the car and inspect it.

He doesn't do the finish body work so you'll need to find another shop for that.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

63vert Guest
    Hi Patrick-
    Thank you for the invitation. I might be able to stop by (I already looked up the address) and would love to see your car up close...BTW the photos that you have posted are great. I won't have my car back from the mechanics until Wednesday, so I'll have to ask Elliot to take a look at some later date.

Pat's just a few blocks from my house so if we can swing it, I can meet you there. I have a yard sale planned for Sat. until 1:00 (near 80th & 24th Ave. NW, Seattle. Just north of Larson's Bakery in case anyone needs some of my extra treasures!!)

Sunday I'm hoping to help Pat out with some sanding. <---that's me choking up Bondo dust...

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

63vert Guest
    Kenny and Patrick-
    I just want to clarify...is the car at Elhot Metal Fabrication or Patrick's house? Please let me know.
    Thanks

The car's at Pat's house now getting some body filler to smooth things out. Then a coat of primer and off for paint. Hopefully before the last car show of the season!!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com