Thread: Heater Core Replacement

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Progress Report

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    The kit you buy with gaskets will supply all the correct foam sheets, so you may yet consider removing the shag carpet.

Those nuts are called speed nuts - though if you Google speed nuts you see J-nuts and all kinds of other nuts. A good hardware store should carry them and you can pack then with strip caulk to imitate the rubber seal. Or use 1/4-20 nuts. I'd probably use NyLocks and washers, wrapping a bit of strip caulk around the stud before tightening it to seal it.
    Hello, Roger.

I decided that I liked the carpet and will leave it in place. It is part of the history of the car. It works, and a previous owner spent a lot of time cutting it to fit and gluing it in place. He was probably proud of himself for what he had done. I vacuumed the carpet with a vacuum cleaner attachment to get the dust out of the carpet.

On Monday I bought eight feet of Part No. 1726 Thermoid 5/8” Heater Hose dated 09/30/14 for $11.12 at Advance Auto Parts See: http://www.hbdthermoid.com/images/au...ack_heater.pdf “A replacement for hose on most cars and light trucks. This standard grade hose is similar to SAE20R3 for normal duty service. Withstands the abuse of corrosive solutions and additives. Resists weathering to provide a long, trouble-free service life. Application: Heater, Style: Black, Grade: Black Standard, Specification: TH-STD-HH, Branding: Thermoid (Size) Heater Hose, Made In USA, Cover Color: Black, Tube: EPDM, Reinforcement: Two Spiral Polyester, Cover: EPDM, Temperature Resistance: -40°F to +212°F (Not for Steam Use).”

I also bought four general purpose #12 Autocraft Made in China ½” – 1 ¼” hose clamps for 2 x $2.49. “These versatile corrosion resistant clamps are comprised of high quality stainless steel and are designed to install easily.”
    Question: The heater had its two original tower clamps in place when I took it apart.
    1-DCP_0240.jpg

Would you guys replace them with the new stainless steel hose clamps, or put the original tower clamps back in? They did not seem to be leaking, and they have been there for 52 years so it is a shame to remove them because they are part of the history of the car. But, ... it will pain in the backside if I have to go back in and replace them if they leak.

Yesterday, I carried the forward half of the heater box into Lowes to find nuts to fit the mounting studs. A ¼” - 20 nut seemed to fit, but the threads on all four of the studs are damaged and will not accept a conventional nut. The self-cutting speed nuts may have been installed because of the damaged stud threads, or the stud threads may have been damaged by the installation of the self-cutting speed nuts. These emblem nuts look like what was screwed onto to the blower motor mounting studs:
    Emblem Nuts.jpg

I was not sure what replacement nuts I would need so I bought a pack of four new ¼” speed nuts, four ¼” rubber washers, four flat washers, four nuts, four nylon lock nuts, and two small disposable paint brushes for when I paint the blower motor and vent door with semi-gloss black paint.

This afternoon, I bought a 40 piece carbon steel SAE tap and die set, Item #61410, at Harbor Freight Tools for the sale price of $15.99 (down from $34.99) + $1.12 tax = $17.11 and re-cut the stud threads. The studs cleaned up nicely and the nuts thread on easily now.

Cutting the threads.jpg

I used ½" thick x ¾" wide self-adhesive door & window PVC foam weather stripping ($3 from Lowes) to replace the original old and hard rubber gasket. PVC is a thermoplastic with a relatively low melting point, about 212°, but I doubt that my heater core would ever get that hot. I have a 180 degree thermostat and my radiator temperature runs about 160 - 180 degrees.

4-DCP_0235.jpg

I glued the weather stripping in place with rubber and felt adhesive and rubbed its outer surface with silicone grease so that it will not stick to the heater core.
    Two halves.jpg

Close up.jpg

I received the replacement heater box clips from Summit Racing today. I can put this all back together this weekend if I receive the new heater core from Advance Auto before Saturday.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 4th, 2015 at 08:02 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)