Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprint tach with EFI

Getting it done don't bother me, it's the $450 I spent the first time that is bumming me out. Oh well off she goes.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

How about something like this?

http://www.mooneyesusa.com/product-p/mpg2893.htm
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Don't do it! That tach is worth more to you and the Falcon world restored than modified.

Here's a picture of the one I got at the meeting, which although I think I'll keep since it seems to indicate it will work on mine, you can get the same thing for $150 at Melvins:

http://www.melvinsclassicfordparts.com/catalogs.html

Go to their Falcon catalog and search for tachometer - I was not able to find it any other way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

2 5/8" Ebay search

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Melvin sells a tachometer filter. Claims its a must with hei ignition systems.
    Allows a person to use OEM tach...

I'd call and ask questions.. its $29.99
    Last edited by Nathan289; May 21st, 2014 at 07:32 AM.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

I did it won't work with this tach. Thus type tach uses a positive signal and every other tach in the world uses a negative coil signal.
    The original sprint type tachs will NOT work with anything other than a stock wiring harness. It pulls it's signal from the resistor wire and is tied into your ignition switch. I've spoke with MSD and two vintage instrument repair places and have been told the same thing three times. My only option is to send them the tach and have the internals replace with solid state electronics. Or I guess find a tach I like. So far option one is what I am leaning to. Haven't seen a tach I like enough not to use my original. I'm still looking though.
    Thanks for all your help guys I really do appreciate it. Now it's decision time.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I vote for Rogers option.
    spend $149.95 with Melvin and get the knock off that will work with what you have.
    Either sell your restored tach or keep it as a momento keep sake.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

I agree that there is a cool-factor to the original tach, but I just can't see any tach is worthy of that expense. You can sell the restored tach and get plenty of other more needed things worthy of that coin. But, I also get "it's yours and you can do with it whatever you want." Can't fault you for that. You might want to take the same mindset you had about the mondo-dollaro subwoofer. That original tach will be well seen.

Apart from the funky knob-thing on the Melvin's tach the rest looks pretty good.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Update: Ron Francis wiring ROCKS. He believes they can get it to work with their kit which is in my car!! Chris and Ron himself are testing it right now. They had a tach similar to mine and are hooking it up today and calling me with the results. Everyone cross your fingers. I WANT MY TACH!!!

As for the sub woofer, I did some special coating for the guy that makes them so he is basically donating them to my car. He wants to start showing them off to the car world. Can you say right place right time!!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

It's a sad day in tachometer world. They told me how I could make it work, but in the next breath told me it has possibilities of catching on fire, burning up the ignition circuits ect.. So I guess I'll just table the tach idea for now and see if I find anything that catches my eye.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

So... was that a 50/50 chance or just a slight 10% chance?

Maybe the Melvin's one would do ya in a pinch. It really isn't that bad in person.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"