Thread: My son's new "classic" vehicle

My son's new "classic" vehicle

On the Cougar forum I frequent, someone started a thread about our "other" classics. I figured it might be fun to see if anybody here still has their first set of wheels! This is my Schwinn Manta-Ray that I got for Christmas when I was about 6 or 7. My son just loves it! (Which is good since his other bike - see it in the background? - is out of commission.)
    1960 Comet
    1967 Cougar XR7
    www.lattemom.typepad.com/cougar

That's in really nice shape - and cool that you still have it after all these years. I recently discovered some old photos of my brothers bike ( it was a Sears product but looked like an Orange Krate) that was passed down to me. If you take lots of photos, you should join Flickr and post this in the Vintage Bikes pool at http://www.flickr.com/groups/vintagebikes/
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

Very cool! And is that the metallic vinyl banana seat? I can't even remember my first bike specifically but I do recall ones similar to yours. I had one with a transistor radio on the handlebars and thought that was pretty high tech!

A few years ago I bought a pair of matching men's/women's 1971 Schwinns. They need some new tires really bad before I would want to ride them very far but they sure are fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

That's the exact same bike my brother had, Kenny. Here's his first bike, and then later when it was handed down to me and turned into a BMX. The first photo just got chosen by a Bicycle Safety organization for their flyer in New Hampshire - I'm awaiting a copy in the mail.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...57594458137266

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...57594458137266
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

Old Bikes, Huh

I still have a PIECE of my "first" bike. It wasn't really my first, but it was the first 10-speed in town...back in 1960. I think I was the first owner of the then-new Schwinn Continental in Orange, CA, when I got it for my 10th birthday. I had the bike all the way until shortly after I got married. I built up a bike for my wife using some of the pieces from that old Continental. We still have that bike, and it's still using the original drop-down handlebars from the Continental.
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

In 1966 I got my first bike, which was a metallic blue Stingray with the sissy bar (who named that thing that?). My sisters got pink girls versions of the same bike, but I had the big bars and they had the small bars. They were older than me and stopped riding them about 2 or 3 years later. I then stole the short bars and rebuilt the bike from the ground up (which I did about 3 more times). I kept that bike until I was 17 when I rebuilt it and repainted it again and sold it in 1977 for $65. It was far from original, so it's value today would not have been as high as that yellow Manta-Ray up there is today. And speaking of which... you better get insurance on that thing 'cause it's worth about $500-600 these days.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; October 19th, 2007 at 09:34 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"