Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freakin Out vins don't match HELP

karenna Guest

Freakin Out vins don't match HELP

First i want to thank everyone for being so nice and helpful to me, you're a great bunch! I just checked vin #'s on door and engine and they do not match!! I was sold this as a 1961 it has the 61 grill, although I thought the tail lights did not look right. Well I was right it is a 1962! I now do not have any info as to what the original color interior, or anything else is! Should I get my money back??? What should I do??

Which vin matches the title?

More than likely a door has been replaced at somepoint in its life..

Does the car have the 62 fenders or does it have the 61 front sheet metal..

Are you trying to make a contour resteration or want to make the car your own??

Just becasue the door doesnt match the under hood vin doesn't make it a horrible car.. My ranchero is that way. Someone replaced the door..
    It just allows you to do whatever you want with the car and not worry about the door tag not matching...

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by karenna View Post
    First i want to thank everyone for being so nice and helpful to me, you're a great bunch! I just checked vin #'s on door and engine and they do not match!! I was sold this as a 1961 it has the 61 grill, although I thought the tail lights did not look right. Well I was right it is a 1962! I now do not have any info as to what the original color interior, or anything else is! Should I get my money back??? What should I do??
    The 61 grill will not fit on a 62 without major work. Can you post photos of the front and rear of the car?
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

karenna Guest
    How do you tell whether it has 61 or 62 fenders? The aluminum trim matches up with the rest of the car, it says Falcon with a gold bird. I can't find anything on the web about that?? I want a car that can be shown as a 1962 if that's what it is. I don't want something that's been piece milled together like it is now. It has a 61 grill but 62 tail lights. I know this is something I can fix but if the body is also piece milled together such as front fenders of a 61 but rear fenders of a 62 that's a huge difference. I can't go to car shows like that. What am I gonna register i as a 61/62 ? It is upsetting. thank you for your help.
    Karenna

karenna Guest
    What kind of major work and how hard will it be to put a 62 grill back on it? Why would someone put a 61 grill on a 62 if it involved major work??

karenna Guest
    I am taking photos to post now

The 60-61 fenders taper more to the front and are interchangable. The grills for these years are also shorter. The front bumper for a 60-62 will curve up at the ends.

The 62-63 fenders are different and don't taper much at all. The grills for 62-62 are interchangable as are the bumpers and fenders. The grill is taller.The 62 grill will have vertical bars whereas the 63 has horizontal.

The tail lights on the 60-61 are smaller diameter than the 62-63.
    Patrick Brown

I am taking photos to post now
    That will help a lot.
    Patrick Brown

does the front end look like the first car a 61 or the second car a 62
    Attached Images Attached Images

What kind of major work and how hard will it be to put a 62 grill back on it? Why would someone put a 61 grill on a 62 if it involved major work??
    I've heard that it can be done. To put a 60-61 grill on a 62-63, the whole front clip would need to be changed. This would include fenders, grill, stone guard, bumper, hood, and modifications to the inner fender and radiator support.
    Patrick Brown

here is a picture of a 62 fender from the side.
    I tried finding lighter pictures but I dont have any..
    The third picture is a side view of a 61

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    does the front end look like the first car a 61 or the second car a 62
    I think the front end of the 61 is cool. I would find a spare bumper and replace the center section with a strait piece to remove the bump for the license plate. It would clean it up a lot. I never liked the bump.

But I digress... back to the topic at hand.
    Patrick Brown

I like the way they look with the front bumper removed and the front pan filled in..

There was a maroon one if the falcon news letter about 3 months ago.. that was filled.. very cool..

I agree with your idea pat, maybe I'll try it..

Back to the vin problem...

Nathan

karenna Guest

Heeeere"s Photos

Okay here are some pics(hopefully) wasn't real clear on how to post em

Thats all 61 except your taillights...

Nathan