Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worked On 65 Ranchero Today

Finished The Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Alfaro View Post
    Redfalcon,

I went out this morning thinking I was going to install the duel resivor master cylinder.... The kit only gives you one adapter fitting for connecting brake lines, right... The brake lines on the Ranchero are 3/16" and the fittings for the new master cylinder are for 5/16" lines. I tried every auto parts store in my town and no one has any fittings. There is a shop open on Monday that carries Airequip fittings and I know he has the correct fittings I need to adapt to the 3/16" line. I was hoping to have the Ranchero driving today. Dang...

The template worked great for making the correct hole locations for drilling.

So far all the parts in the kit fit except I had to grind the passenger side caliper to clear the rotor, it was mostly flashing. All in all everything has fit good. When I'm all done I will write a summary of the complete install.

jerry-

Well, I finished the disk brake conversion on the Ranchero today. It sure stops good now. I plumbed in the new duel master cylinder and it wasn't a bad job to do. Overall I was quite pleased with the kit I purchased. All the parts fit very good. The kit did not come with the master cylinder or proportioning valve. I purchased them at the company I bought the kit from.

I did most of the work myself with some help from my son. I started on Friday and finished today only because the two adapter fittings I needed for the 3/16" brake line had to be purchased at a store that was not open on Sunday.

I recommend this conversion if you can afford it. When I was a kid in High School I had a 63-1/2 Futura with drum brakes and when you had to make a panic stop, you also had to say a prayer when you hit the brakes. I also installed new upper/lower a-arms, spring perches and coil spring seals. As a Grandpa seeing his grandson driving around with his dad and drum brakes, I will sleep better tonight. One reason, I'm tired and two, I know the Ranchero is much safer to drive with my best buddy on board.

jerry-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GT-350H

Jerry,

I'm trying to make sense of your plumbing. The proportioning valve should be in line to the rear brakes. You have it installed on the outlet of the front brake circuit. You also have a "T" fitting connected to the rear brake circuit. I suspect that you have the master cylinder plumbed in reverse. The larger reservoir is for the front brakes and the smaller one for the rear. It matters because the front disk calipers have a lot of fluid capacity thus the larger vessel. There is also a residual pressure valve built into the rear circuit of the master. The residual pressure valve is designed to keep the drum shoes from pulling away from the drums.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Jerry,

I'm trying to make sense of your plumbing. The proportioning valve should be in line to the rear brakes. You have it installed on the outlet of the front brake circuit. You also have a "T" fitting connected to the rear brake circuit. I suspect that you have the master cylinder plumbed in reverse. The larger reservoir is for the front brakes and the smaller one for the rear. It matters because the front disk calipers have a lot of fluid capacity thus the larger vessel. There is also a residual pressure valve built into the rear circuit of the master. The residual pressure valve is designed to keep the drum shoes from pulling away from the drums.
    PBrown,

You are absolutly correct. What a brain f*rt on my part. It will be easy to correct the lines this weekend. My son said the Ranchro stops OK, but as the pads start wearing he will also notice that the master cylinder will need constant filling. Thanks for also catching my error. I sent the pictures to my brother and he emailed me back saying almost exactly what you said, you did it wrong. I still can't believe I did this... arrrrggg!

thanks again
    jerry-
    GT-350H

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Jerry,

I'll post new picture when I redo the lines.
    jerry-
    GT-350H

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Alfaro View Post
    I'll post new picture when I redo the lines.
    jerry-
    Got the brake lines corrected today. Didn't take any pictures because you really can't see the change with the firewall to tower bracing. The Ranchero stops real nice with the disk brake conversion. My son is going to drive it to work for the remainder of the week so we can re-bleed and adjust the rear shoes this weekend.

jerry-
    GT-350H