Thread: Comparing a Falcon and Fairlane

Comparing a Falcon and Fairlane

A friend of mine at work has a 1967 Fairlane Hardtop. He drove it to work yesterday and parked it next to my Falcon.

1-DCP_5135.jpg

2-DCP_5136.jpg

It was interesting to stand between the cars and compare them side by side. The Fairlane was a lot bigger. It was higher, wider, and longer.

4-DCP_5138.jpg

5-DCP_5139.jpg

I would have loved to have had a 1963 Galaxie parked along with the compact and mid-sized cars. That would have completed the set. The big Galaxie would have made the Fairlane look small.

9-DCP_5143.jpg
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

The 1964 Falcon and Fairlane are about the same height but the Fairlane is longer, wider, and heavier. Here are some recent pics of my 1964 collection so far. I hope to add Big block 4-speed Galaxie in the future to have all the 1964 Round Tail Light models.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the garage:

1964 Falcon Sprint
    powered by: 289 V8 | C4 | 8" rear 3.89
    http://tinyurl.com/kdl9hq2

1964 Fairlane Sports Coupe "K-Code"
    powered by: 289/271HP V8 | 4-spd | 9" rear 3.89
    http://tinyurl.com/kk3cfqc

You will also need a 1964 Thunderbird and Lincoln!

What is neat is that after Ford had designed the unit body for the 1960 Falcon, they carried the concept further and released it as the unit body 1962 Fairlane. The Fairlane was really an enlarged Falcon. The 1962 Fairlane was also neat in that the new car was released with the new 221 small block V-8. It was called the Fairlane 8.

I like the rear view mirrors and paint job on your Fairlane. It looks nice from behind with the hidden gas cap, round tail lights and chrome bumper. The side view looks nice with the wide rear post. From the front, the Fairlane looks lower than your Falcon. It is interesting that the 1964 Fairlane still had a hood scoop while that had been deleted from the 1964 Falcon.

It will be fun when you have your Falcon, Fairlane and Galaxie all lined up. "Hmmmm. Which one do I want to drive today?"
    Last edited by ew1usnr; May 18th, 2014 at 04:27 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Thanks on the Fairlane comments. I will tell you that the handling aspects of the Fairlane are more solid and cruise friendly than the Falcon. The Power to Weight Ratio make the Falcon pretty squirrely in comparison. The Falcon also corners nicer, but that could be due to the power steering, which was not an option on the K-Code Fairlanes.

Now imagine a 427 in a Falcon Sprint. That's exactly what Romy Hammes Ford did in 1964 when they built the very first one to run with their Thunderbolt. Squirrely Indeed!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 64SprintV8; May 18th, 2014 at 09:38 PM.

In the garage:

1964 Falcon Sprint