Thread: Brake questions

Brake questions

Howdy!
    Coupla questions before I head to the parts store and buy stuff this weekend...
    I want to put a dual reservoir master cylinder on my 62. I'm retaining the drums on all 4 corners for now so I assume I just need a MC from a late 60's drum equipped Mustang and perhaps a proportioning valve of some sort. Do I need a proportioning valve? Am I correct in assuming I'll also have to replace my brake lines? I figure it's a safe bet anyways...Who knows how old those puppies are.

Any tips or tricks?

Cheers!

You don't need the proportioning valve. Get a MC from any Ford car with a disk/disk setup. Consider replacing the wheel cylinders as well. Ask Jeff why.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    You don't need the proportioning valve. Get a MC from any Ford car with a disk/disk setup. Consider replacing the wheel cylinders as well. Ask Jeff why.

Disc/disc?!?!? Hmm...

Anyways...Ya...All the wheel cylinders are gonna get replaced. The car has been sitting for going on 2 years 'cause of various reasons including a faulty wheel cylinder that loves to make the right front brake grab...Hard! It makes for some exciting panic stops!
    Good to hear I don't need to get a proportioning valve...My car is a basket case so cheap is good 'til I get the gumption to do some rather serious rust repair...I'd just like to get some more miles out of the ol' bird before she goes under for some serious rehab...

Edit...I got smart and used the search function...Y'all already covered the swap pretty well right here with some excellent linkies, tips and tricks!

Cheers!
    Last edited by lilblackwagon; April 9th, 2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: I put my thinkin' cap on...

Pat was drinking again... he meant Drum/Drum.

Also see if you can get a "new" rather than "rebuilt" MC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Pat was drinking again... he meant Drum/Drum.
    Right on...It was after the stroke of noon so I'll let it pass...Drum/Drum it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Also see if you can get a "new" rather than "rebuilt" MC.
    Will do...