Thread: Straight six with no spark

Straight six with no spark

Had planned to make it to the picnic, but found myself in Edmonds for the greater start of the day. Last weekend was the first time I tried to start her up in a couple of years and it just didn't happen. So I got the battery all charged up, bought a can of starter fluid, and headed back up this morning. The battery kept its charge, but I couldn't get a spark to safe my life. I double checked all the simple stuff, etc...and even spent 30 minutes on the phone (and texting images to my dad) but to no avail - it was fun, however, to hear a glint of excitement in his voice.

I do not have a lot of mechanical skill, but I try and learn fast. The engine was overhauled before the prolonged (and unforeseen) storage began, so I'm hopeful it isn't something serious. I wonder if anyone might live in the Edmonds area, know a bit about straight sixes, and be willing to take a look at the car with me. I live in Seattle, so conversely, I could pick someone up along my way there.

I can access the car during the evening or weekends, and am happy to work around schedules, etc. If we get her started great - I'll treat us to something (depending on the day / time)...and if we don't I'm sure I'll still learn a thing or two through the experience.

Below is one of the images I sent to my dad...my son got a kick as we talked (back and forth) - using terms like "10 o'clock", etc. So it turned out to be a positive experience. I also received a little shock (at one point) so my son learned the importance of turning the ignition key all the way to the "off" position; LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lawrence; June 2nd, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
    Lawrence Leake
    1963 Futura
    Queen Anne, Seattle
    >>Rangoon Red w/ White top & Black interior (in the works)

Lawrence,

I'm in the Lynnwood area and might-could give you a hand diagnosing this in the next week. Not a lot of free evenings, but will (unless someone else comes forward) let you know when I can arrange something.

It is a really simple system and that you got shocked is sort of a good thing.

As a first check you might want to rotate the engine until the rubbing block on the points (you took a picture of) are on the height of one of the distributor cam lobes. Once resting on the very top of a lobe you can measure the gap with a feeler gauge. Should be about the gap the thickness of a matchbook cover, or about .017 if memory serves me. This gap provides a "dwell time" giving the coil enough time to "charge up" so when the points close (coil gets voltage, starts to charge) and then open again the opening of the points cause the coil to discharge through induction through to the coil lead and to the spark plug. If the points don't open, or are not closed long enough, you will not have good spark, if any. Also, a faulty condensor can kill spark.

Anyway, things you can check in the meantime.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"