Thread: WTB 3.25 rear gears

WTB 3.25 rear gears

I'm looking to trade out what I believe to be 3.55 rear gearing to something like a 3.25 ratio....the ideal situation would be to find someone that would like to exchange but if need be I would just purchase a set. I know I can buy rebuilt ones off the internet but really don't want to pay $700...

I need to know what model and year of cars the rear pumpkin would interchange....so I can search craigs list etc.

Any advice you folks have would be great....or if you know of someone that has a set let me know

Thanks
    Hal

Hal,
    When I did mine I used a set of Richmond gears I bought from Summit Racing. The part # out of the Summit cat was RMG--4901001 and they cost me $218. The guy that did mine lived down near Olympia. He completely rebuild my diff with the new gears, put in a posi everything new and heavy duty. I paid him $700. This was for all new parts and the posi not including what I paid for the gears. I think he would probably charge less just to change the gears out. I will search around for his number if you are interested.

Jerry
    '65 Futura

Jerry...thanks for the information....I am hoping to find a complete 3rd member that I can have put in....used one would be just fine. I am hoping they are readily available...once I know where to look. If not I might just have to keep what I have....it is quite nice for acceleration purposes....but my preference would be something a little more freeway friendly. I know on my previous falcon Nathan was kind enough to change out the 3.55 for the 3.25 and it made a nice difference when driving 60-70 MPH....I have seen on ebay where a rebuilt one can be purchased in the $700 price range

Yup and the 3.55 gear set is in my 61 falcon now. It's a little steep for the 170 but I'm hoping to fix that with a T-5 tranny swap.

Hal,
    look for mustangs cougars comets Mavericks maybe some trucks will have an 8"..

I think mustang2s had 8"s in them though the axles were four lug, but that doesn't matter when you're after the pumpkin..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Thanks Nathan...I guess anything with an 8" will work....I see a lot of 8.8" but not what I need. If in your travels around Spokane you come across a 3.25 pumpkin let me know....I have been looking for a good reason to make a trip back to the east side.

Hal

Hal,
    I found a set of 3.00 gears.
    Proably lower than you want.. but the price doesn't seem bad..
    http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/1045002982.html

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Thanks for the lead Nathan....I have a lead locally on a 3.25...plus a 3.0 for $100. I like the idea of a 3.0 but not sure if given the engine, cam etc that I have if it would run enough RPM's to smooth out if cruising at 2200 RPM's....I think it has a 2600 Stall converter in it....how would that affect cruising a 200-2200 RPM's?

Even though this is a nice engine with lots of power...a kick to drive etc...I sure wish I had a mildly built 208-302 in it....I have started to look for someone that wants more horsepower and willing to put in a mild 289-302 as a trade. I'm even thinking about picking up a good 289 (cost does not seem that much) and having it installed...then sell mine...but that is a pain also....

Thanks
    Hal