Thread: How much to re-plate hood scoop?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How much to re-plate hood scoop?

About how much would it cost to re-chrome the hood scoop for a 62/63 Falcon?

A re-chromed piece is being sold on e-bay for $100. Is that a good price?

hood scoop.jpg
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

That seems like a good price. Like anything, chrome plating comes in different quality. Are there any plating vendors in your area?
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I just had mine done by EFS plating in port orchard and it was $200 to get it done. Ouch, but it looks awesome.
    If there is one re-chromed for $100 buy it or I will.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Falcon built by e-bay.

I should not have said "selling for $100", but rather that the initial asking price is $100. It may get bid up higher.

My existing hood scoop has a lot of spider-web cracks in the chrome finish and I wondered what it would cost to have it re-plated. A "show quality" re-chromed piece sold on e-bay a couple of weeks ago for $200, which is evidently the going rate for a perfect job.

The piece for sale that is starting at $100 is described as: "A nice job, but just a couple of pits that were not totally removed. Not show quality, but much better than just a driver."

Hmmm. I placed a starting bid on it. If the price goes up much beyond that I will have my original piece re-chromed locally.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Re-chromed hood scoop.

Dang! There was less than a minute to go and someone outbid me. The scoop sold for $115.

Oh, well.

I will re-chrome the original piece that is on my car. That hood scoop was most likely put in place on that the day the car was built and it is more fitting for it to stay where it is.

It's not a pressing necessity, so the re-chroming will probably not happen until some time in the Summer.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; January 13th, 2014 at 06:41 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

I had mine rechromed here in Seattle. That was over 15 years ago. One thing I would recommend is talking to the person doing the work to see if they can do anything to preserve the crosshatch pattern in the part that would be the open part of the scoop.

If there's any paint left it was painted black from the factory. Mine got pretty burned out from the plating process. If you plan on painting it black again, there may be something they can do to protect it.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)