Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headers on a 302

Headers on a 302

I see on prior posts where guys are using the Hedman 88408 hedders. I have a 302 stock heads and AOD. I'm using the 260 stock motor mounts. I have the 260 stock exhaust manifolds on it now and have 3/8" clearance from the shock tower on P/S and 5/8" on the D/S. I have a Unisteer rack & Pinion so steering box won't be a problem. Do the headers come up higher on the shock tower so they clear? Also, any problems with the plug wire boots? I'm using straight boots now but no problem to change them. Thanks for any input.
    Ray Agen
    Dynasty Green 64 Sprint, 300 hp 302, AOD

Any experience out there with stock shock towers and headers?
    Ray Agen

Ray, I have all stock front-end on my car, w/Tri-Y headers made by Doug's and marketed by Pertronix. I have a BW T-10 and stock (Z-bar) clutch linkage. I originally had a minor clearance issue: the header on driver side hit the steering box under acceleration. This was cured by raising the drivers side motor mount with a 1/4" spacer between the block and mount. Not noticeable unless you look for the slight tilt of the engine. Never had another issue with this during the several years I've been using it.
    I've not had any problem with my straight plug wire boots.
    Gene
    Last edited by SmithKid; July 17th, 2016 at 12:15 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Thanks Gene...I'm going to order the Hedman Elites. Summit tells me they're guaranteed to fit or return them within 90 days ....so going to try it. It sure looks tight. I like the idea of the spacer if needs. Thanks for the reply.

I'll post the fitment.
    Last edited by Raysir; July 17th, 2016 at 01:56 PM.
    Ray Agen

Great Ray, As has been said many times before, do keep us posted. We like projects and pictures.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I have Doug's on my Ranchero too, with stock shock towers and an automatic. Clearance is a pain even still. Had to do a bit of shimming to get everything the way I liked it around the shock towers. But otherwise, great headers. The Falcon is tight, so good luck!

One member has a Unisteer setup on his car, but not certain what he did for exhaust. You may want to PM him since he's been a bit overwhelmed lately with his powder-coat business and doesn't speak up here as often as he once did. Just go to you Private Messages and type ' Doghows ' as the recipient and he may be better apt to reply to that.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Headman Elite shortly headers work great. Same setup as you described and I have no clearance issues at all.
    Well that's a crappy picture I thought I could see them better. But they work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Thanks Steve - wasn't sure you were looking.

Steve also has the AOD if I recall correctly. So yours is a near match to his.

It is easier to use shorty headers than long-tube headers - sometimes. Easier to bend and route one tube per side while at the exhaust shop than cram 4 tubes and collector up between everything.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks for the replies

I can't believe Summit Racing...I ordered the hedders Saturday night after your posts. The guy said I'd probably get them Wed or Thursday and would that be a problem? I said not at all! Got a ship notice Sunday morn along with a tranny cooler. AND they were on my door step this morning at 10 AM. I unwrapped and taped up the hedders, looked at them and went NO WAY will they fit!! Took off the valve covers the 260 R/S manifold (which was only 3/* from hitting) Un bolted the motor mount , lifted the engine and bolted in the new Hedman 88408, let the engine down....OMG, I have WAY more clearance than the stock all the way around. Then I'm putting 2 1/2" with Thrush mufflers on it. I have the Thrush on my 49 Chev truck TPI and it sounds great. I'll be glad to get rid of these glass packs... Appointment Wed with Salem Exhaust for the pipe bends...AND He does a really good job.
    Thanks for the input on the fit, you guys!! I never thought they would fit and expected a return.
    Ray
    Ray Agen

You're very welcome now let's see some pictures. Without pictures it never really happened.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    Headman Elite shortly headers work great. Same setup as you described and I have no clearance issues at all.
    Well that's a crappy picture I thought I could see them better. But they work.
    Thanks...you have a really nice engine swap. Clean, too.
    Ray Agen

OKay, Okay....pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ray Agen

Aw dude... you would have to show us the lift too!

Man...

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"