Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recurve Duraspark

Well...it made sense at one point...

I think maybe he meant 14 deg of "initial" advance and I should have corrected that but just did a cut/paste. So when your engine is at idle with the vacuum disconnected from the distributor and plugged, this is where you set the initial timing. As you begin to accelerate, the vacuum advances the timing until the mechanical part takes over and the vacuum from the manifold or carb port dies off.

Somebody way smarter than me can explain it better but here's a pretty good web page if you need some light reading:

http://www.angelfire.com/on/geebjen/timing.txt

I didn't get to install it yet but I have Friday off so I'll do it then for sure and report my findings.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Yeah, that link pretty much echo'd the CI document.

Initial advance is set by rotating the distributor in the hole, so they can't set it for you. They can recommend it and use that as a reference point to say what all the other values can be, but it still seems odd that they include vacuum advance. The best they could do is to indicate the maximum vacuum advance you can attain at idle (when the vacuum is greatest).

Essentially it is like this:

1) You set initial advance without any vacuum assist and at an idle speed below any introduction of mechanical advance. This setting, as seen in "the books" was all based upon compression ratios, fuels, octanes, etc... at that time. Though still a good place to start, the reason you may want to vary from this is because we are in a different day and age of fuels and you may not be running a completely stock setup anymore.

2) Mechanical advance is 100% rpm based. The old Load-o-matic distributors didn't have mechanical advance, so Ford actually did use vacuum (a mixture of manifold and venturi) to make a fake "mechanical" advance - which was needed (is always needed) during acceleration.

With the DSII distributor and any post-1967 distrubutor, which has mechanical advance, this is the thing you are modifying with new springs. There are two weights inside that "fling out" with centrifugal force and these drive against a cam, of sorts, to rotate the breaker plate on Fords. Changing the weights effect how quickly the weights can move and how quickly the breaker plate rotates and how quickly you see advance.

Since there are two weights, you can, depending on how the springs are setup, have one weight move to allow for fast advance action and then the other comes into play later. At this point - both are in play together. If both spring are in play, their tension is summed. So, if you have one weak and one strong spring (as is the case with the suggested mod) and both are "under tension" all the time, you could actually have two equally sized springs as well - as long as the sum of two weaker springs are the same and one strong and one weak. If you have one spring slightly un-sprung (possibly the cause of them wanting you to bend a tab), then it might allow a quick advance - at first - and then when both are under tension it allows a slow and steady advance over the rest of the RPM range.

3) Vacuum advance. This only operates at idle and cruise, but highest vacuum is at idle. This is added to initial advance as soon as you set that and reinstall the vacuum line. So, in reality, this is what your "idle advance" is: initial plus vacuum.

That's the way I see it so far. Sorry for typing this all out and hijacking your thread Kenny, but hopefully it will come in handy. I'd still like to know whether they added vacuum advance to mechanical advance to give you total. Seems awfully coincidental that they just happen to add up.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    3) Vacuum advance. This only operates at idle and cruise, but highest vacuum is at idle. This is added to initial advance as soon as you set that and reinstall the vacuum line. So, in reality, this is what your "idle advance" is: initial plus vacuum.
    The vacuum advance is typically connected to a port that is just above the throttle blades. This is different than the old Load-o-Matic stuff. In this manner, there is little to no vacuum advance at idle. It's when the throttle just opens that the vacuum advance will be greatest and it will vary based on engine load. It is still best to set base timing with the vacuum capped off. Then reconnect the vacuum and go. The vacuum advance can is adjustable on Kenny's new dizzy. You can use a small allen wrench to adjust the amount of advance you get at a preset vacuum setting. The wrench adjusts the preload on a spring in the vacuum can.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

This is contrary to the thread on Classic Inlines thread. They indicated this to be called "ported vacuum" which was used in the early smog emission days, but was not the way to go today. But they did indicate it was a "debated subject" and then proceeded to explain what each was. The Load-o-matic carbs only offered a load-sensing vacuum using the little diaphragm doodad on the carbs.

So, anyway, I guess it is still debatable.

I've spent all of 20 minutes so far looking into it. I only know that when doing a DSII swap when I have a 1100 carb - I only have manifold vacuum as a real source and should not be using the original feed from the 1100. I will continue to study the pros and cons, but I'm hooking it up to manifold vacuum tonight, for now.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

This is the thread on ported versus manifold vacuum sources:

http://www.classicinlines.com/VacAdvance.asp
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    The vacuum advance can is adjustable on Kenny's new dizzy. You can use a small allen wrench to adjust the amount of advance you get at a preset vacuum setting. The wrench adjusts the preload on a spring in the vacuum can.
    I wish! I tried several sized allen wrenches and it is what it is. I think Crane and Standard make one for about $35-40.

When I get mine hooked up I'm going to compare ported vs. manifold. I borrowed Jeff's vacuum gauge so I can see what it's doing too. I've read plenty of forums where just as many people use one or the other and the consensus always seems to be "whatever works for you".

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Well, first of all, you have to have the option. Perhaps your Weber offers the option, but the 1100 doesn't, really.

I've not done a lot of research yet, so for me the jury is still out, but tonight I added a manifold vacuum source and plugged off the Load-o-matic feed source on the carb. With initial timing sitting at 7 BTDC (I didn't try to adjust it to 6) I plugged in the vacuum advance and it jumped to 27 deg, or 20 deg added - at idle. With rev to about 2500-3000 it max'd at 41 degrees total advance. I do [now] have a spare vacuum source, so maybe I'll check vacuum reading too.

I will say that if I had ported source and the thing was running at 6 BTDC, it runs pretty crappy that way.

I think I still have some carb issues though. It is running pretty rich and part throttle run is not real smooth, but WOT acceleration is very responsive under no load.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I was having trouble with that carb as well (I had a filter screwed right on the carb so I hopefully can't be blamed for the dirt)... but I was testing it when I had that bad resistor wire.

Have you swapped the one off your wagon for testing?

This is a pretty good article on ported versus manifold. Might also explain why, now, with manifold vacuum connected it seems to be running rich. If only it was easy to gain ported to try it.

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_..._explained.pdf
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    I was having trouble with that carb as well (I had a filter screwed right on the carb so I hopefully can't be blamed for the dirt)... but I was testing it when I had that bad resistor wire.

Have you swapped the one off your wagon for testing?
    Gene and I were staring at it tonight and this was floated. The answer is no, though. But it wouldn't be really hard to do. It's a slightly different carb though, so I'll hold off just until I give up trying other things here.

FWIW, with what was in it when I opened it, I can see why you would have had troubles. So no, the once rusty tank in the flarechero would be to blame.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"