Thread: Brake master cylinder

Brake master cylinder

It has been many many moons ago that I removed the single bowl master cylinder from my Falcon. My brother is preparing to replace his master cylinder on his 64 Fairlane and I mentioned he should change it to a dual master cylinder instead.

Here are the questions.

1. He has wires going to the cylinder and I can remember that mine also had a wire or two. What were those wires for, and I don't have any on my power booster and cylinder. Picture of his is attached.

2. Can he replace his with what I just bought for my car. His has drum brakes all around where my has drum/disc with proportioning valve. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251360497137...ht_3037wt_1128
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I suspect those wires are from the brake lights. I betcha if he shorted them together, he'd see his brake lights come on. As to his master cylinder, he should use a dual master cylinder intended for drum/drum, rather that disk/drum. Early Mustang cylinders should bolt right in with just a few changes to the brake line plumbing. Then he wouldn't need a proportioning valve. Rockauto.com is as good a source as many. They are usually very competitive, especially if he uses one of the coupon codes usually found here.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Gene is correct Larry. If you're going from single with dual drums, go with a drum/drum master. Use Rock Auto and you'll notice the cap divisions are equal. Disc/Drum dual M/C with have a smaller front reservoir.

If he has factory disc/drum with a single M/C (Ford did this), then you'll have to use the drum/drum M/C and there should be a proportioning valve plumbed in already.

I (think I) noted the day you stopped by you have this brake light switch plumbed into the line just in front of your current master cylinder. The 64 model year was the last to use that switch. The pedal assy I got from you didn't .the inside switch like I have on both my Falcons, so I had to use another pedal.

Others have used the brake light switch they use on the F100's of the late 60's early 70's and mount that switch in place of the pedal return bumper up in the
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"