Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Out for a spin.

Dinosaur World.

The temperature this morning was 59 degrees and there was a heavy overcast with a slight rain. I took I-275 south to I-4 and drove east at 65 mph to visit Dinosaur World in Plant City. It is a tourist attraction that is alongside I-4 about 20 miles east of Tampa.
    See: http://dinosaurworld.com/florida/

The park had not opened yet when I got there and I took this picture at the front gate.
    Dinosaur World Entance.JPG

Shortly there after, a girl showed up and unlocked the gate. I didn't actually go into the park. I just wanted to take pictures at the front gate and in the parking lot.
    Triceratops.JPG

Brontosauri.JPG

There is also a winery near there that is famous for their blueberry wine. See: http://keelandcurleywinery.com/ Going home I took I-4 west and then I-75 north. The Falcon ran great.
    Winery.JPG
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Mermaids

I had today off for Veteran's day and and the Florida state parks also had free admission today. So we added another 100 miles to the odometer and visited Weeki Wachee Springs. It used to be a famous privately owned tourist attraction, but it was a casualty to Disney World. The State bought it in 2001 to protect the natural and historical resource and now they operate it as a State Park. See: http://www.floridastateparks.org/weekiwachee/

01-DCP_6031.JPG

It is a natural spring that has a viewing area with glass windows that let you see an underwater mermaid show. There are not many places where you can see a similar show.
    02-DCP_6032.JPG

05-DCP_6035.JPG

On the way back home we stopped by Salt Spring State park. It was my first time there. They have a nature trail that leads back to several springs.

12-DCP_6042.JPG

Happy Veterans Day!
    13-DCP_6043.JPG
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 11th, 2014 at 06:37 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Foul Weather Driving

I just looked a the weather forecast for Rainier, WA and was surprised to see that your temperatures are very similar to what we are having in Tampa right now. Tomorrow we will have a high of 65 and a low of 48.

I have been using my Falcon as a daily driver and have been driving to work everyday, but try to avoid driving it in the rain. This past Monday fooled me, though. The forecast was for a 20% chance of rain, but it started drizzling as I drove in to work, it drizzled off and on all day, and it turned into a light rain that evening. It was cloudy, raining, and the the temperature had dropped to 50 degrees by the time I got off work. It was an uninspiring day.

But, ... it gave me an opportunity to try all my car's comfort and convenience features. I flipped on the wipers and my new wiper arms and wiper blades kept the windshield clear. The heater that I had flushed with a garden hose warmed the interior up nice and toasty. The windshield began to fog up and I pulled out the defroster knob and turned the fan on with the new fan switch. The mist evaporated and the windshield cleared. Bob Marley was playing through my AM radio from the FM converter and cigarette-lighter MP3 player and out my new dashboard speaker:

"One ting about music,
    when it hits you,
    You feel no pain"

And I was appreciating that while it was a miserable day outside, all the Falcon's features were properly functioning to keep me warm and comfortable, with a clean windshield, and listening to music. Very nice.

Cold driving is old fashioned.jpg

Bob Marley would have said: "Everyting is irie, mon."
    (Irie: to be at total peace with your current state of being. The way you feel when you have no worries.)

The Suncoast Falcons got together this past Saturday for a Christmas dinner and to elect officers (see attached pictures). I accepted a nomination for "Junior Director" and it was approved by a show of hands. I am a club officer now!

Meeting f.jpg

Garage.jpg

David Wagner's Sprint F.jpg

In gargae wf.jpg

The little red car is a 1966 Sunbeam Tiger that belongs to a club member. It has its original Challenger 260 engine complete with a generator and period correct 13-inch wheels. Look at the low-profile air cleaner.
    Tiger RS.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; December 12th, 2014 at 02:33 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Nice...congrats on your new position.
    They recently had an episode on Overhaulin about a Sunbeam tiger project...it really looks like a neat car. Simple, very light, a little British style, but a Ford V8. Gotta love it! I've been thinking maybe it's my next project after the 57 T-Bird, and 60-Ford truck like my Dad had, and, and, and...
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Yes... Congratulations! What does a Junior Director do? Maybe we need one in the Rainier Group.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Junior Director

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Congratulations! What does a Junior Director do?
    Hello, Jeff.

When I was nominated I asked "What does a Junior Director do?".
    They said "not much".
    The club e-mailed me the by-laws and this is what they said:

"The Junior Director shall chair the membership committee and be responsible for the election process of officers and chair the nominating committee."

"A nominating committee chaired by the Junior Director, consisting of three (3) members in good standing will meet in the month of September. The committee will propose a slate of officer candidates with at least one member for each office and preferably more. This slate of candidates will be given to the Secretary by September 30."

That does not sound too complicated.

This is a non-Falcon photo that I was impressed with. Check out the dash board of a 1954 Mercury. My gosh! Look at all the knobs and gauges. That was really something.

1954 Mercury.JPG
    Last edited by ew1usnr; December 11th, 2014 at 04:48 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    "The Junior Director shall chair the membership committee and be responsible for the election process of officers and chair the nominating committee."
    Oh! We definitely need one of these!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"