Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freakin Out vins don't match HELP

the trunk lid is also from a 62 or atleast the latch/lock assymbly is

Nathan

karenna Guest

more pics

Ok here are the pics(I hope) that didn't come thru the 1st time
    Attached Images Attached Images

The back end is a 62 for sure but the front clip is from a 61. No biggy, you have a custom.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

well the car is either been in a front end collsion and they replaced the front metal with 61 parts or its been rear ended and they replaced it with 62 parts..
    third possiblity is that its a really early 62 and ford was using up left over 61 parts.

Whats the 1st digit of the vin per your title? and does it match the door or the under hood vin?

Nathan
    Last edited by Nathan289; July 1st, 2008 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan289 View Post
    Thats all 61 except your taillights...

Nathan
    Are you sure? That trunk lock is a 62-63 part only.
    Patrick Brown

I say that if the VIN under the fender says it's a 62 then it probably is.
    Patrick Brown

pbrown,
    I caught the trunk lock on the second looksie at the photos.

It also looks like the side trim running down the side is from a 62 as well..

I'd agree that the car is probably a 62 and has 61 front sheet metal..

It's still a good looking car though.. I like it.. i'd register as a 61.5 that will raise a few eyebrows..

Nathan

pbrown,
    I caught the trunk lock on the second looksie at the photos.

It also looks like the side trim running down the side is from a 62 as well..

I'd agree that the car is probably a 62 and has 61 front sheet metal..

It's still a good looking car though.. I like it.. i'd register as a 61.5 that will raise a few eyebrows..

Nathan
    It also has bucket seats which were only in the Futura AFAIK. It doesn't have Futura badges on the rear so they were probably changed to. I think someone has been playing mix and match. I wouldn't worry too much.

Karenna,

Drive it and enjoy it. Don't worry about originality.
    Patrick Brown

karenna Guest
    The title says 1961, matches the door tag. The brace under the hood says 1962. If we keep this, are the tailights from 1961 interchangeble or should we keep the rear like it is?

Quote Originally Posted by karenna View Post
    The title says 1961, matches the door tag. The brace under the hood says 1962. If we keep this, are the tailights from 1961 interchangeble or should we keep the rear like it is?
    Call the DoL and see what they say. I'm pretty sure that is a 62 in 61 trim. The door was probably changed at some point. The VIN under the left fender is what I would go with. Just make sure that both VIN numbers are free and clear - not ever reported stolen.
    Patrick Brown

I'd keep it how it is.. the 61 tail lights would require some work to get them to fit.. they are smaller in diameter than the 62..

you have a very interesting car.. I still like it.. it's got an interesting history would be neat to find out more..

seems that someone retitled the car using the info off the door either not knowing it didn't match the info on the under hood vin or they did it to deceive someone.

as long as everything checks out sound I'd keep it and have fun with it.. Make it whatever you want..

Nathan

karenna Guest
    What do you mean,under the left fender Do we need to remove the fender? Where under it do we look? Also if the fender has been replaced won't it be a different number? The 2nd vin# we found is on the support brace that goes from the shock tower to the rear firewall

some of the later cars had an area cut out of the fender where it bolts to the engine compartment that had the numbers stamped in it like the support brace does..

i actually think there is another number stamped on the pass side under the fender if you were to unbolt it.. but I wouldn't bother..

Was the support braces first digit a 2??

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by karenna View Post
    What do you mean,under the left fender Do we need to remove the fender? Where under it do we look? Also if the fender has been replaced won't it be a different number? The 2nd vin# we found is on the support brace that goes from the shock tower to the rear firewall
    There is another VIN number between the second and third fender bolt when counting from the windsheild. Later cars had a small notch cut in the edge of the fender that would wrap around the number. Earlier cars would have to remove the fender to see the number. It's not on the fender itself. It's under it.
    Patrick Brown

karenna Guest
    some of the later cars had an area cut out of the fender where it bolts to the engine compartment that had the numbers stamped in it like the support brace does..

i actually think there is another number stamped on the pass side under the fender if you were to unbolt it.. but I wouldn't bother..

Was the support braces first digit a 2??

Nathan
    yes it is a 2 the whole number on the support brace is 2H11S256635.