Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 62 starting problem and need help please!

Thanks everyone,

So... finally I think I have an answer. As I now could get the car started I took it up to Acme on Aurora to have them check out the generator among other stuff. They determined that the generator was fine, but as Roger suggested, the voltage regulator was shot. So that is being replaced as we "speak" and then it should be good to go and just in time for the W. Seattle show. Whew...

So now on to the master cylinder... seriously, if the next Rainier Falcon clinic/barbeque wants to be at my house I'll gladly supply all the fixin's. With all the horror stories about not replacing it, I won't be truly comfortable driving it until I get this taken care of.

Thank you everyone for your kind advice!!

Jim

Roger was right AGAIN!

I do hates the electrical problems but am glad you got it figured out. Now to get the dual master cylinder installed. Jon (68falconsc) has kindly offered to come help and take pictures/notes. Gather the parts and let us know when you're ready. There's not much time before the regionals so maybe we can get it done before then but afterwards for sure.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Just say the word on a date and I'll be there {as long as it's a sat or sun} and.....DID THAT GUY SAY BBQ ??????? DEFINATELY up for THAT !!!!!!!!! LOL.
    Jonathon Hass
    Stanwood, WA.
    '68 Falcon Sports Coupe

I should probably add this to the master cylinder thread but I'll ask here as this is where I initially started...

I have the master cylinder ('67 Mustang) from Schucks and I went to NAPA to get the rest of the parts from that Comet article linked from the other discussion. The guy at NAPA I asked was confused from the list and truth be told I sort of was too. Could someone outline exactly what parts I need for my 62? I know there are only like 6 things but I just want to be sure.

Also they had a cylinder at NAPA that looked better than the all black model at Schuck's. It had the copper lids that looked more like the original Falcon top but it was $69. Are there only cosmetic differences between the two as the Schuck's model was $40?

Thanks for your help, and once I'm sure what I need I'll get these this week.

Jim

Basically you're taking one line that is coming out of your now single cylinder and splitting it in two. The rear brakes (fed by the front bowl on the dual) is split by a junction block on the rear differential. So you will need to get one junction to run a new short line from the rear bowl (for the front brakes) and split it to the left and right front brakes. If you want to still use your hydraulic brake light switch you'll have to find the special junction that has the female pipe thread on top for this switch. I got mine at a really good parts store in Santa Rosa, CA but I think you may have to go to Fittings, Inc. to get one around here. I doubt any parts stores will have them.

You may need an adapter for the rear port as it is larger if I remember. I'm not sure why they did that but there's a fitting available here that would make a neater install:

http://www.ultrastang.com/Page.asp?PageID=4

I'm terrible with sizes so I'm not sure which one you'll need. Anyone know or sure?? I think it's the 1/2"-20. The other port is the size for the fitting that will come on the 3/16" brake line you'll need to get anyway.

They should have the short brake lines with the fittings though. I would put the switch down by the brake pedal. It's a Standard Brand Part Number: SLS66 for a 70's Ford pickup. As far as the difference in price and quality goes, hard to tell. I would say the one you have is fine. If they both are remanufactured and have the same warranty then only time will tell. Are they different brands?

Jeff has done one most recently and here in Seattle so maybe he can tell you about local parts sources. It's kinda confusing I know. We should put together a kit as a club and sell it on our website to make money. Probably too much liability though...

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I have a big bag of brake fittings. You can go through it and see if you can use any. I'm in Ballard.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I've got a bunch of stuff too. I may even have that special tee connection if you want to keep your hydraulic brake light switch. And extra brake line too. Between me and Pat I'm sure we can make it work.

It's not really that confusing and once you see it done the light bulb will come on and you'll say "Now I get it!"

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    Roger was right AGAIN!
    If you have a big enough shotgun, you're bound to hit something.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"