Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CI Headers

New CI Headers

Just wanted to show off my new Classic Inline headers. I've been wanting a set for quite awhile and finally made the move. I bought the steel ones and coated them with POR-15 "Factory Manifold Gray" which is supposed to be good to 1400 degrees.

Thanks to Jeff and Pat for letting me use their sandblaster and paint gun. From what I've read, others who have had success with this coating said to use clean blasting media so I bought a jug of 70 grit black aluminum oxide. Then scrubbed it good with acetone and flashed it with a propane torch before painting.

Put a light, even coat on with Pat's HVLP gun and then baked it at 500 degrees for 1/2 hour. I have a friend who let me use his pottery kiln for this.

Install was pretty easy. I had to grind one hole on the flange a little and one of the nuts was a too close to a weld bead but everything cleared and I was able to install the starter after the headers were in.

Took it to Ballard Muffler and had all new pipes and muffler installed. I was going to just hook into the old system but once he got it up on the lift, we decided it would be better to change everything to 2" pipe and relocate the muffler. I originally had it in it's stock location between the gas tank and leaf spring but since I but in a larger Mustang tank it has always been a very tight fit. Went with a flat oval style muffler located forward of the rear axle.

Lots of details I won't get into but ask questions if you have any. Now that I have the drive train where I want it, I can finally tune the Weber and maybe recurve the dizzy. I had a bung welded in so I can hook up Pat's wide band O2 sensor which really helps with the tuning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Very Cool. How is the performance? Can you feel it in your butt? The coating looks good to, let us know how well it holds up.

Very nice.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Can't tell Kenny. Are these dual outlet of single? I only see one muffler.

Did they also recommend or sell the port divider? And did you use one?

Very SCHWEET though.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks guys. Performance is improved but I haven't done any tuning yet at all. It definitely warms up better than before.

The headers are dual outlet going into one muffler.

I got a port divider a long time ago and had it welded in when I got some work done on the head. It was welded by a place in Marysville that does cast iron welding.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Too loud!

:rotflmao:

New CI Headers

As they say on Sportscenter. "Cool as the other side of your pillow". And as the kids all say "sick dude". Us old dudes say, "looks great" Kenny. Keep us informed on how they work out.
    Badbird.

I wrote Mike at Classic Inlines but haven't heard back yet. The headers came with spring loaded bolts to use where they connect to the pipes. See photo for example.

When I got the headers I had them on the bench and tried to get these bolts on and it seemed nearly impossible to compress the springs enough to get the nut started. And this was without the gasket in place. The guys doing the exhaust work couldn't get them on either so just left them off.

I'd like to have them on but was wondering if anyone had any advice. I was thinking of compressing the springs in the bench vice and using wire to try and tie them up to stay compressed. Then install the bolts and cut the wire loose when finished.

I'm guessing these springs allow that connection point to have a little bit of flex as the engine torques. Do you think not having the springs on would cause problems down the line?

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

Kenny, If you can put all the bolts and springs though, then put a temporary exhaust clamp to provide a backing where you can then stick a wedge between the head of the bolt and the temp clamp and compress the spring with one hand and put the nut on with the other. Maybe? Don't know how much room you have to work with.

Pardon the 1:30 in the morning photo edit.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; September 11th, 2011 at 01:31 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"