Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Work

Custom Work

It's been slow so I thought I would share what I've been up to.

The trunk lid is getting radiused.
    The seams are welded up.
    The backup lights are shaved.
    The gas filler is gone.

Elliot is doing at his shop in the Capitol Hill area of Seattle.

The fenders and hood have been sent out for media blasting. Elliot will do rust repair and then coat them inside and out with PPG DPLF epoxy primer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I like the radious! How are you going to make sure the water flows out and not under the radious so it wont rust? Are you going to use body sealant? I think the look is unigue. Where did you come come up that idea. Do you ever sleep? (LOL) Al
    Last edited by Alsprint; January 14th, 2007 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling oops!

The filler panel will be fully welded and ground smooth. The curve follows the factory body seal perfectly. Water will not be a problem.

I took this from someone on TFFN. They had a 63 Falcon done this way and it looked good. The doors are also getting this treatment.
    Patrick Brown

Pat was helping me install a manual choke this Sunday (in his nice, warm garage ) and I mentioned we should have a gathering in a few weeks at Elliot's shop to check out the progress on his bird.

Not a formal meeting but just a few hours to check out the progress and see the techniques involved in custom metal fabrication. It's hard to get in the car club mood when it's 30 degrees outside but it would be nice to see everyone again and I'm sure the Elhot Fab batcave is kept toasty!

Anyone up for that? I'll have to confirm it with Elliot, pick a date (maybe Feb. 3 or 4), and then I can send out an email invite to everyone on the forum.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Elliots! I'm in.

Thumbs up

I'd be there!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

I visited Elliot's shop today. Here are some more photos.
    Patrick Brown

A couple more. The green car is not mine. These are just to show the look I'm going for. Elliot does mostly restoration work so this is a fun one.
    Patrick Brown

Dan Guest
    Planning to be there, If I don't work. Need the extra $$ fer my Falcon. Thanx for the invite
    Dano

A little update for those interested.

This is the drivers door radius work. The door gap is set. It's coming along nicely.

I bit of bad news. There is rust in both lower quarters. I ordered new panels from Autokrafters.
    Patrick Brown

Yikes! If YOU'VE got rusted quarters I'd really hate to see mine...

Well there's no time like the present to get it outta there. When I look back on my paint job I was more interested in getting it shiney and fresh looking and probably should have had a better job done on the rust repair.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Dan Guest

lookin' good

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    A little update for those interested.

This is the drivers door radius work. The door gap is set. It's coming along nicely.

I bit of bad news. There is rust in both lower quarters. I ordered new panels from Autokrafters.
    Lookin' good
    Can't wait to see it in person.
    Are the panels you ordered aftermarket or OEM FORD? If aftermarket they are NOT the same size and are major pain in the U know what!!---weather you do or someone else does--they are not the same.

Dan Guest

Rust

If not properly gotten rid of, rust will come back(under your nice new paint). It may take awhile but will show as bubbles in your paint only it's not your paint(METAL ZITS). God forbid you have any Bondo on top of such areas because it will pop the entire piece of bondo off car.
    Primer is not a sealer either. At least as far a H2o is concerned. It is right before painting, but in my case, I have primed parts (on my car) in September and use car every day(rain or shine). I will have to re-work those parts before I get the 'killer' paint.

They are aftermarket panels. They won't be exact but will still be easier than fabricating them by hand. I can asure you that nobody will every be able to tell it was repaired.

Primer is a sealer. I think you are referring to 1K or 2K surfacer. Surfacer is the sandable stuff and is not water proof. Moisture will go right through and rust from underneith.

Once the rust and remaining metal work is done, I will be laying down the products in the following order:

Epoxy Primer (PPG DPLF/DP401LF)
    body filler where required (Evercoat Z-Grip and Metal Glaze)
    2K Sanding Primer (PPG K36 Primer Surfacer)
    Sealer (PPG DPLF/DP401LF)
    Basecoat/Color
    Clearcoat (2 coats)
    Patrick Brown

Update

I stopped by the shop and got a few photos.
    Patrick Brown