Thread: Looking for a van

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for a van

Well my Wife has finally gave in to the dark side. She has told me I can sell the Metropolitan if and only if I can find her a Falcon Van. So the search is on. She want one with windows but other than that it's wide open. So if any one knows of one for sale put us in contact so I can fill my garage with more Falcons. Thanks Steve...

By the way I just brought home a 65 chero last night. I think we need a new forum for all us crazy guys.??? Or should I say category??
    Last edited by doghows; November 10th, 2011 at 03:53 PM.

Brian P. is the "Van Man". I think he knows of every Falcon van within a 1,000 miles of here!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Wasn't Jim Frey's grandson selling one for $29,000 or something? Maybe it is still available.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Dang and my budget was 27k. Brian any good leads out there. She wants one with all the windows. Thanks Guys..

There's a real nice one the Portland Craigs List under Ford Falcons dated Nov. 3rd. Windows and everything. No price though. Dave

The Dark Side????? I see now where I sit in this club

Anyway, I have much info for you, in fact too much to type here, but I'll give you the basics. A true Falcon Van is the window version with rear seats (though finding one with rear seats, well forget I even mentioned it.). Falcon Van was a marketing idea to rebrand the Econoline as a "Station Bus" or "Wagon" and group them with the sedans. This model also had the mechanical slide out step (as mine does) for the right side door as it opens, look for a van with a working one as they are 40 swear jars to fix.

My recommendation is to hit the 65-67 years as you will have less upgrades to do. These years started the super duty line with the heavier bumpers and rear axles. They also tilted the steering wheel back starting in 65 and also had the upgraded heater box and 2 speed wipers (and if you act now I'll give you the info to upgrade to intermittent wipers while maintaining original aesthetics). The best power to economy ratio I have seen for these is the 200ci which was never offered from the factory of course.

'67 was the only year with a factory dual master brake cylinder, so you can imagine the frequency and price of them on ebay (few and $300+ for a working pull) as there is no direct aftermarket option without mods. I would avoid the super van with the 18" extension, not a good look and that much more metal to take care of plus more room = more stuff, and who needs more stuff? Don't answer that. One more tip - Glass is not easy to get for them so a broken window might be a deal breaker, or a significant price cutter.

As always give me a call anytime. I might even be coaxed into looking at some with you, I can point out all of the stuff you might not realize is missing or misplaced, all the stuff I wish I knew when I bought mine. Above all take your time, they pop up for sale frequently and some for very cheap.

Welcome to vanning! I guess I won't be the special one anymore.

Here are some links to the main early "vanner" sites:

http://www.vintage-vans.com
    http://www.ford-econoline.com
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160