Thread: Engine offset

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Engine offset

Does anyone know how far the V-8 is offset to the passenger side in a '64 Futura? I have the Heidt's front crossmember in and the motor mount towers they sell actually center the engine in the chassis. Hmm... not sure about that. Thanks in advance. Daryl

After further checking it appears that if there is any offset at all it is nominal at best. I measured and found the vertical centerline on the firewall and hung a plumb bob from there. With the car sitting level on jack stands, the plumb bob string appears to disect the transmission tunnel right down the middle. Crawling under the car, I measured the crossmember at the tranny mount and it is centered there as well. Moving back, I measured the spread on the leaf springs and the rear axle pinion yoke is centered between the leaf springs.
    I suppose that's why Heidt's sells their motor mount towers centered. Time to order them tomorrow I suppose.
    Later, Daryl
    Last edited by kentdaryl; July 16th, 2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Found answer myself.