Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Relocation Of Uper A-Arms

Cutman Guest

Another option...

I looked at the links of R&P stearing set ups and the price is over $2k. Now the advantage is it seams to be bolt in. Not sure that it gives you the ability to lower the rig. I put a falcon specific aftermarket crossmember and all the suspension from a donor mustang II in my wagon. The cross memeber was $600 and the mustang was $200. I added dropped spindles for $200. Then cut half a coil (gonna cut another half coil). I have $1200 and my time into it. I now have R&P, disc brakes, and endless hieght optioins (even the optiono of a bolt in air ride kit for the MII front end). Pictures in my intro.

Just antother way to go if you are so inclined.
    Keep wrenchin'.
    Rob

Pics sitting after suspension in...

Last edited by Cutman; January 3rd, 2008 at 07:55 AM.

Struts

This is what I want.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

This is what I want.
    Sorry to bring this one back , but it would be irresponsible for me not to comment. That looks like the RRS stuff, which I have installed on my 62 Falcon two door wagon. THIS SETUP IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH TCP LOWER CONTROL ARMS. I was able to make it all work after having spent a few hundred on HOWE racing extended lower ball joints, custom machined tapered ball joint spacers, and threaded adjustable outer tierod ends but man what an expensive time consuming headache. RRS makes their spindles/uprights with a "corrected" ackerman angle to the steer arm putting the steer arm closer to the lower control arm at full droop. Not a problem with stock lowers but just be advised.

mustang 2 front end conversion

Rob, I was wonddering what you thought of the conversion to the mustang two front end, What brand cross member did you use, did it fit well? Does it address the parrelle control arm issue that was brought up at the beginning of this thread? how did it go with adapting the r&p steering, did you use power steering? Did you smooth out the inner fenders since no shock mounts were needed? Do you have pictures?
    Have you driven the car since the conversion? (from the picts it looks like it is still apart) Did the alignment come out all right? I have decided to stay sbf as far as eng goes but still not sure if I want ot mod my stock suspension or convert to M2 stuff. Just FYI I have a 64 falcon sprint convert.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Cutman View Post
    I looked at the links of R&P stearing set ups and the price is over $2k. Now the advantage is it seams to be bolt in. Not sure that it gives you the ability to lower the rig. I put a falcon specific aftermarket crossmember and all the suspension from a donor mustang II in my wagon. The cross memeber was $600 and the mustang was $200. I added dropped spindles for $200. Then cut half a coil (gonna cut another half coil). I have $1200 and my time into it. I now have R&P, disc brakes, and endless hieght optioins (even the optiono of a bolt in air ride kit for the MII front end). Pictures in my intro.

Just antother way to go if you are so inclined.
    Keep wrenchin'.
    Rob

Pics sitting after suspension in...

Cutman Guest
    http://www.rcmotorsports.net/
    Is where I orderred my cross member from and it was a pretty straight forward install. Lots of measuring and double checking but it welded right in. No power steering. I did a lot of asking around and found that non-power was the way to go for the size and wieght of the car in an R&P set up.
    I did smooth the inner fenders. We used a buddy's HF bead roller and made panels to fit after cutting out the shock towers. Came out so clean that even Falcon/Mustang guys take a second to realize what looks different.
    I have not driven it much. To be honest and was leaving in apart for paint but that just fell through. So gonna be putting it back together and running it in primer for awhile. I am a couple weeks away from being done with a 67 VW Hiboy Roadster I have been working on since Oct. Here's a link to see what has the Falcon on hold http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showp...38&postcount=9 Once that is on the road I will get back to the Wagon.

Hope this helps.
    Rob
    Last edited by Cutman; February 26th, 2008 at 03:38 AM.

It's been awhile since I looked into it, but when I contact Rod and Custom Motorsports about their M-2 frontend, they said that it did not allow for lowering the car significantly. Just look at the size of the crossmember! Of course you can more easilly adapt air ride to that setup since it's so popular in the street rod world, but that does not allow for driving it at a lower height (geometry still changes when bags are deflated), mainly just for laying frame at shows. That's why I went with dropped spindles, not that they didn't cause other problems....
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

Cutman Guest
    Having installed the R&C kit, I believe, you could build up the frame rail that you mount it to to raise the crossmember by an inch (giving you one inch lower ride height). You will have to modify the tranny hump a little but I had to do that without raising the crossmember height. I would have do it had I realized it was possible at the time I installed mine. I also have 2" dropped spindles and cut 1/2 a coil out. I am going to take another 1/2 coil out and I think it gives a pretty low yet functional stance to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    Here is what the template looks like.

http://members.cox.net/mbstang/template.jpg
    Pat,

I made a template for drilling the holes for relocating the upper a-arms. I made it off the template you provided. It worked great! Thanks

jerry-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GT-350H