Thread: PCV system maintenance interval?

PCV system maintenance interval?

What is the maintenance interval for a 1963 V8 crankcase ventilation oil separator?
    See: Oil Breather Screen-Mesh Filter #C2OZ-6A631-A for 62 63 64 65 Ford Mercury 221 260 289.

Oil Breather Screen-Mesh Filter #C2OZ-6A631-A.jpg

I had been under the impression that my PCV valve #C1AE-6A666-F was supposed to be changed every 30,000 miles.

1962 63 FORD PCV VALVE NOS C1AZ-6A666-A 221 260 289 FALCON FAIRLANE - .99 1.jpg

Kemparts PCV-40 C1AE-6A666-F.jpg

I read in my recently-purchased book "Small Block V8 1962-1969" by Bob Mannel that Ford had recommended that the PCV valves were to be disassembled and cleaned every 6,000 miles.

Small Block V-8 1962-1969.jpg

Oops. My PCV valve has been in there for over 16,000 miles with no maintenance.
    I will take it apart and spray it with carburetor cleaner this morning.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 26th, 2016 at 05:15 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

If the check-valve in it still rattles when shaken, it's good. I don't think I ever heard of anyone replacing one that worked, unless for cosmetic reasons. The breather screen can be cleaned if unsightly. It's so coarse I think it'd be almost impossible to plug up.
    Last edited by SmithKid; November 26th, 2016 at 01:17 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Yeah - what Gene said.

Never seen that book before. Will have to look it up. What sort of topics does it cover?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

PCV System

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    If the check-valve in it still rattles when shaken, it's good. I don't think I ever heard of anyone replacing one that worked, unless for cosmetic reasons. The breather screen can be cleaned if unsightly. It's so coarse I think it'd be almost impossible to plug up.
    Gene was correct.

"What is the maintenance interval for a 1964 ½ V8 crankcase ventilation oil separator?" I found the answer to my original question in a 1965 technical bulletin that is included on Page J-56 of Mannel's book:

TSB-24, Cleaning the oil separator element.jpg

Ford said that the oil separator element was to be cleaned every time the PVC valve was serviced and that: "Failure to do so will greatly reduce the operating efficiency and service life of the engine."

Wow! I had never cleaned it. That worried me. So last night I removed the PCV tube from the rear of the intake manifold to change the oil separator. The existing oil separator element did not look that bad after all, ......

Old oil separator element.jpg

....... but while I was into it I replaced the old element with a with a new old stock replacement part that I had.

Oil Breather Screen-Mesh Filter #C2OZ-6A631-A.jpg

I scraped the old petrified paper gasket off with a razor blade and then smeared the new gasket on both sides with motor oil before installing it. I think that the little basket that the oil separator sits in is pretty cool:

Installing new oil separator element.jpg

New oil separator element installed.jpg

The existing PCV valve rattled when I shook it, so it seemed OK. I sprayed carburetor cleaner into both ends of the PCV valve and into the curved metal PVC tube and then reinstalled the PCV valve.

PCV Valve in place.jpg

I drove my car to work this morning with an optimized PCV system!
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 28th, 2016 at 05:07 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Bob Mannel's book

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Yeah - what Gene said.
    Never seen that book before. Will have to look it up. What sort of topics does it cover?
    Small Block V-8 1962-1969.jpg

It is a good book. It is broken into chapters for each year, 1962 to 1969, and is broken into sub chapters of engine core, valve train, induction, exhaust, lubrication, ventilation (PCV calves), cooling, iginition (distributors), generator/alternator, and accessories. Everything is shown wqith photographs of actual parts.

The book showed me where the date code for my engine block is located and how to read it. My block was cast on January 2, 1963 (it was a Wednesday). The first number is the year, the letter indicates the month H = 8, the 2nd number is the day, and the last letter is an inspector code.

Engine block date January 2, 1963 closeup.jpg

My 1963 intake manifold C3OE-9425-C that was purchased off e-bay was made on August 23, 1962 (it was a Wednesday).

Intaje manifold date code August 23, 1962.jpg

My car was built by members of Lorain Local United Auto Workers 425 on Monday, July 22, 1963, at the Lorain, Ohio assembly plant.

Specification plate.JPG

The stars were all against my Falcon. The engine was cast by workers coming back from celebrating the New Year, and my car was made on a Monday!
    Last edited by ew1usnr; November 28th, 2016 at 05:33 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Most mistakes can be fixed.

Thanks for the heads up on the book. Gonna keep my eyes open for a copy. You can never have enough references. Though the Internet is making this less an issue, I still find information in books you can't (easily) get on-line.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"