Thread: Rear speakers for '65 Ranchero?

Rear speakers for '65 Ranchero?

I finally replaced my original AM radio with a RetroSound Laguna C AM/FM and some 6.5" Pioneer speakers in Rhino Fabrication kick panels. YUGE improvement, but I'd like more bass thump. No 1000W door-rattling monster, just some deeper thump. I'm wondering if there's some smallish subs that might fit behind the seats, considering I have a full-size spare on one side. I'd like to see some of your solutions.
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

I totally changed my Ranchero to allow the entire space under the bed access panel to be available to put speakers. Sealed the bed off entirely. More than you'd want to do, I suppose. What you'd probably want is a small powered sub, so this would require a low-level feed (RCA cables) sent from the deck to this. And power, of course.

I have used this Infinity Basslink sub in my old Escape and really liked the depth it gave. I pulled it when I traded that in, so it's now in storage awaiting some new vehicle, or to resell someday.

Infinity Basslink: http://a.co/0UPRuHJ

If you google "powered subwoofer", there are many, many, of them ranging from $50 to $$$$
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I doubt if I'll add a powered subwoofer; that's really more than I'm looking for. I just want to use the rear speaker leads out of the head unit for some more 'oomph' and surround sound behind the seat.

I did some web surfing today, and I've decided to build a bazooka out of 4" dia. x 24" black ABS pipe with a speaker at each end. Ordered some Dayton Audio 4" midbass long-excursion speakers today, and picked up a 24" length of ABS. It fits perfectly up under the rear package shelf, with only 1/4" of the bottom edge showing. I'll have to offset it slightly to the driver's side to clear my full-size spare on the passenger side. Dayton recommends a .1 cu. ft. cabinet for a non-ported version; if my math is right that's 172 cu. inches, and the 24" tube will get me 150, which is pretty close.

I also added a 3.5mm extension cable in the dash for my iPod. Since I had removed the crappy old Deluxe dash and replaced it with a standard cluster, I had some holes available. I found a rubber grommet that fit the dash hole and the end of the cable perfectly, but the pressure needed to plug in the iPod caused the cable to slide back behind the dash after a few uses. I found a push nut at ACE hardware that grabs the cable snugly, not allowing it to move. Not entirely elegant, but absolutely functional. Kinda like my Ranchero (and me).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1965 Ranchero Deluxe
    factory 289 4 speed car

Sounds like quite a sub! Do you mind sharing the article you found on that?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I'd like to see it as well!

And when will I know it's Oldsheimer's? That powered sub I mentioned is installed in my pickup.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"