Thread: 1965 Ranchero Deluxe

1965 Ranchero Deluxe

For those of you that frequent TFFN you might be familiar with the Ranchero I purchased from Walt in Florida. I was expecting a good runner with an older well done restoration. What I ended up with is a rig with a pretty poor restoration and one that needs quite a bit of work.....well beyond my skills. I did list it on Craigslist but probably at a price that is too high for the condition. So I now need to either lower the price to a point that it makes sense to a buyer or just store it for a couple of years until I retire and use it as a learning project.

The body is solid with the exception of one isolated spot on the wheel well where there are some rust bubbles. The paint is shot and even shows the all the runs from when it was originally done....really poor quality.
    Engine is a hot rod and has tons of power but does smoke....mostly white but have been told there is a little blue in it....so a rebuild is probably in order.
    Interior is dirty and needs help.
    Appears the water pump is leaking and needing replacement.
    It does seem to drive straight and the suspension is tight.

I listed it for $5800 but that is too much for it given the work that needs to be done. Someone that has the skills can turn it into a decent rig....especially if they like a hot rod.
    If anyone is interested contact me and I can provide pictures and all the information that I have.

Hal

Hal, sorry to hear about your disappointing deal. It is always a risk to purchase from pictures only, but when these birds becoming more and more scarce, we are having to reach further and further to find examples.

My wagon came from Sacramento and I was expecting a few little fix ups and I would be good to go. Three years later I now have car I can be proud of... but still needs driveline work to give me confidence to leave the city.

Sounds like you have a solid base... that is important and will be appreciated by you or the next owner. Mechanical and cosmetic just takes patience and desire. Major rust repair on the other hand is beyond most of our skills and facilities.

Best of luck
    Last edited by Jeff W; February 2nd, 2014 at 01:38 PM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

I saw mine in person and still spent the last five years fixing her up. Sorry things didn't work out on yours but if you need help fixing her up I think I know a few guys willing to help.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Well, I have already purchased a replacement so this rig is just taking up space.
    I told myself that I would never purchase another rig without looking it over but thought this was a different situation since the seller had been on the forum for many years. But he had a lot more pride in his work than I feel was justified.

I'm probably being more negative on the car than I should. There are some positives like the body being overall pretty solid and it does drive pretty well. But lots of thing to tidy up and make right.

If I had space would just keep it until I retire and then play with it but the wife would like her spot in the garage back...

I'm thinking I just need to bite the bullet and get it in the hands of someone that can do some repairs and enjoy the hot rod engine.

But if the price is too low will just try and find a place to store it for some time.

Hal

Hal,

So sorry to hear about your pain.

Been there and done that.. its still in my garage... still not finished..

If you change the water pump look into changing the timing cover gaskets.
    Might be a source of your white smoke.. might not..

Best of luck
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

1964/65 Falcon Ranchero

I am looking for a 1964/65 V8 stick preferred, if not a driver, maybe a parts truck. info@pedigreecats.com Gary Habersetzer Thanks,

Nathan...yep, this is the second time I made this mistake. Never, ever purchase a car without looking at it or having someone you trust look at it. I trusted the posts on TFFN and assumed far too much.

To the right person this could be a good project and I think could be a decent deal.....but of course the price would have to make sense for the buyer.

It is just sitting in the garage for now....I have to make a decision on what to do. I have a family member visiting in March who can help me determine some of what the rig needs...from there I will decide whether to just store it or sell it a much lower price.

Fun times with old cars....good news the replacement I purchased will work out quite nicely.....just too many ranchero's in the garage.

Hal

Start a thread and tell us about the "replacement ". Can't wait to hear /see.

It's not a Camaro is it?
    Last edited by Jeff W; February 3rd, 2014 at 10:36 PM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA

Nope, not a Camaro. 1964 Ranchero that is really clean and will work well for me. I have a few pictures I can post, not really good ones. Will try and take some today. Also need to take a bunch of the hot rod ranchero to send to a couple of folks that have an interest. I guess if the price is low enough interest starts to develop.

Will try and get some pictures posted today or tomorrow

Hal
    Last edited by Hal Cogburn; February 8th, 2014 at 01:51 PM.

The ranchero has been sold and is on its way to Raymond Wa. The new owner is a very nice gentleman who I think will get it in the condition it deserves. He got it at what I feel is a very good price which will give him room to take care of whatever issues it has.
    This was a very expensive lesson in the importance of looking a rig over before making a purchase. But I am happy for the buyer and hopefully he will share some pictures once he gets it done.

Hal

Now you can focus on your other projects and just have fun! Always feels good after some spring cleaning.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA

Yep, now I can move the 64 ranchero into its spot and allow the wife back into the garage. The replacement really needs nothing but even with that there is always something I would like to add or make better. I'm comfortable taking it most anywhere....just need some decent weather to get it on the road....but that doesn't appear to be happening for at least a week or so.

Hal