Thread: Detail question

Detail question

I'm curious what products folks are using to 1) protect vinyl on their cars - i.e. vinyl top without it being real shiny (ArmorAll) and 2) to preserve them from UV rays.

Similar question for tires.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

I'm currently using Meguiars Hot Shine, which has very little shine to it after it is applied. However I saw a friend (MOPAR Guy) use another product by Mother's that leaves the tire flat black. I believe it was Mother's Back to Black Tire Renew.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I've been using a Low Shine version of ArmorAll, but danged if I can find it anymore. Seems to be off the market. I'm running very low on it and have looked the past few weeks - everywhere I go - to see if I can find it. Nada. I just looked on Amazon and even they don't show it. I use it on my Ranchero (vinyl roof) and the bed cover.

I guess I'll be looking for the same answer as you soon because I do not like the glossy shine most other protectants offer.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Thanks. I can deal with the glossy look on the tires but want to avoid the glossy look on the vinyl top. I used to think that was cool when I was in my teens and early 20's but not anymore for the top.

Stopped by O'Reilly's on the way home from my appointment today - that's a dizzying array of product on the shelf just for detail items.
    Scott Zimmerman

I prefer just a hint of shine. I'll have to look into some of the stuff Gene mentioned.

I once had something done, can't remember where, but they put some tire shine on my tires afterwards. This stuff was like wax mixed with oil. Terrible stuff. It flung up onto my paint and everywhere within reach. I had to actually use lacquer thinner to clean it off all my tires. Took me nearly an hour per tire to get it all off and had to cleaner/wax the car. I think it had to be a no-wipe product of some sort. Since then I've made sure nobody adds tire shine to my tires.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

So I decided to try a test. I stopped by O'Reilly's yesterday and picked up a can of Griots Black Shine tire and trim coating. I also had an old bottle of Meguiar's Gold Class High Gloss tire gel.

Griots directions say if you want a low shine to only leave the spray on the tire for 20 seconds or so. I figured that Meguiars was probably the same situation.

The photos aren't great but Meguiars is on the left and Griots on the right. This is after 2-3 minutes of sitting after wiping the tire off. Both are fairly dull with the exception of the grid pattern on the tire.

Scott Zimmerman

I have used 303 aerospace protectant on vinyl...works great on boat vinyl anyway. It really does seem to protect vinyl from uv.
    Careful with Armorall, tests have shown it can be pretty harsh. We replicated results at work on interior truck parts.
    I always clean my tires with a Brillo pad...a little work, but looks great and looks more natural than anything else...
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    ... a Brillo pad...
    But what about my fragile and delicate fingers? Can't see using that on my vinyl roof either. Gonna investigate 303... never heard of it.

I've heard for years rumors about ArmorAll, but never anything substantiated. What does it do in your testing?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"