Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disintegrated Strut Bushings

Socket size?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    The labor for mine will also be "no charge". In fact the guy that will be doing the work is sitting at my keyboard right now.
    Hello, Jeff.

Does the big nut on the forward end of the strut rod require a 1-3/16" or a 1-1/4" socket?

Thanks, Dennis.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
    Hello, Jeff.

Does the big nut on the forward end of the strut rod require a 1-3/16" or a 1-1/4" socket?

Thanks, Dennis.
    Hi Dennis, my 6 cylinder rig (I don't think that makes a difference) is neither. It is 1-1/16".
    jw

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

New Bushings ... Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Hi Dennis, my 6 cylinder rig (I don't think that makes a difference) is neither. It is 1-1/16".
    Thanks, Jeff.

I bought a 13-piece deep socket set on a half-price sale at Harbor Freight and went to work on my car today. You were correct, the nuts took a 1-1/16" socket.

The mechanic who put on the second set of bushing thought that they were polyurethane. I e-mailed Falcon Parts asking about that and they replied: “The bushings all came from the same supplier, production run and made of the same material."

Well, those bushings collapsed also after only 5,200 miles. I ordered another set of rubber strut rod bushings from Performance Suspension Technologies (PST) for $25. The bushings came as a complete set with washers, spacers, and nuts and were marked “Product of Argentina”.

I thought that "Made in Argentina" was interesting. After Ford USA finished making the 1963 Falcon they shipped the dies to Ford of Argentina where they continued making Falcons up until 1991! Falcons are still popular down there.
    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fa...entina%29#1982

Anyway, the installation went relatively easy. I lubricated the bushings with silicone grease and placed the front and rear washers with their convex sides facing towards the bushings like )=(. This will let the bushing roll across the washer surface as the strut rod is pushed up and down and create minimal resistance. Cupping the bushings with the concave side like (=) would squish the bushings and cause resistance as the control arm goes up and down. I saw no advantage to that. The strut rod should provide resistance to forward and back motion, not up and down.

6-DCP_0092.jpg

I did run into one surprise. My left and right strut rods are not the same.
    The left strut rod weighed 3.25 lbs and the turn stop part of the strut rod (the end sticking up on the left end in the photo) was part of the strut rod.
    Left Strut Rod with integral turn lock.jpg

The right strut rod weighs 2.75 lbs and has a turn stop that is shaped different and is a separate piece. The base of the separate piece is sandwiched between the strut rod and the control arm. The bolts were not tightened yet when the picture was taken.
    Right rod with separate turn lock piece.jpg

I am hoping that this new set of Argentinian rubber bushings will last for the next 100,000 miles.

Here are the Andrews Sisters singing "The South American Way":https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3yQL-cfWts
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 27th, 2015 at 02:17 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

Dennis, You may have a V8 and a 6'r strut rod. The V8 version was the solid one with the bent end and the 6'r had the removable stop. The spindles are different L6 versus V8 and you may find your turning radius hampered in one direction (I'd guess right turns), whichever stops against the one with the strut with removable bit.

Not knowing this detail when I built my Ranchero I had 6'r struts and V8 spindles and I could barely make the turn into any parking spot. I pulled the stop-brackets off for a quick fix, but got a V8 set from Steve and will eventually swap them in.. real soon now.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Well, .... gee.

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Dennis, You may have a V8 and a 6'r strut rod. The V8 version was the solid one with the bent end and the 6'r had the removable stop. The spindles are different L6 versus V8 and you may find your turning radius hampered in one direction. Not knowing this detail when I built my Ranchero I had 6'r struts and V8 spindles and I could barely make the turn into any parking spot.
    Hello, Roger.

I had never noticed a problem, but now you have made me curious. I will go into a big grocery store parking lot and make a turn all the way to the right and then all the way to the left and see if I can notice a difference in the turning radius and/or steering wheel position.

There is heavy rain forecast for the next couple of days, so I will not get to try this until Thursday or Friday.

I would like to know the story of when, why, and how that strut rod was changed.

Falcon Parts says: "1963 STRUT ROD SKU: C3DZ-3468-A This part is the correct strut rod for all models of the 1963 Ford Falcon & Mercury Comet. Price: $58.95"
    1963 strut rod c3dz-3468-a.jpg

See: https://www.falconparts.com/ford-fal...OD-18p5331.htm
    Last edited by ew1usnr; April 27th, 2015 at 05:17 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

That's the V8 style. It would probably work on a 6'r spindle if nothing rubbed going in circles.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Any new info?

Happy 4th...

Was searching for info about strut rod bushings failing and ran across this thread.

I am finishing up a 61 Futura with a V8 conversion and having trouble with premature failure of the strut rod bushings. The entire front suspension has been updated with the V8 Falcon parts... including the Strut Rods & Bushings.
    I have had 2 sets of bushings fail in about 2000 miles, Both sets were from Falcon Parts (1962-1963 STRUT ROD BUSHINGS, C2DZ-3A187-A). Both sets were installed properly and checked by a reputable alignment shop that is very familiar with our older cars. And I've replaced the bushings from other manufacturers on other older Fords and they have lasted for years.

I have had good luck with stuff from Falcon Parts but I noticed in this thread that others have apparently had similar problems with these specific bushings from them... so I am now assuming the problem I'm having is associated with the sub quality parts. As a side note, I did contact them and they stood behind there bushings... it was apparently "my fault" for improper installation.

So, I would much appreciate some feedback on some questions...

1. Is it likely my assumptions are correct about the 2 sets of bushings from Falcon Parts being poor quality?

2. Any recommendations from members that have had a more favorable experience with other "rubber" OEM or aftermarket bushings for this application?

3. Any thoughts on the Heim Joint style strut rods that eliminate the bushings? Pros & Cons? Harsher ride?

Any feedback is appreciated...

Thx - Fred

Fred Pennington
    '62 Falcon
    289, 4-Spd, 9 in

Fred,

Tough one. Rubber does fail, and these parts do see a lot of force. I have a hard time with FP taking a hard stand on quality. There is not a lot of wrong you can do installing these, though it's not impossible either. That said, the mix-match of parts you get for strut rods bushing is all over the place. I did them on Don's car (the 61 "Grandad's car) and had to machine the bushings to make them work. The fact they machined at all gave me reason to pause and wonder.... "how long will these last?"

The purpose of the strut is to hold the lower control arm in place as it moves up and down with the rest of the front end. These stresses are significant. I've seen these mechanical pivot-style struts and I can't see how they would make the ride more or less harsh. The factory used rubber because it was cheap, but I see this similarly to the spring perches that are now made to pivot on bearings instead of rubber. The ride is much improved in my opinion. Granted, when rubber fails you may still have cushion you will lack when you have hard surfaces and things fail, but that's just an indication that it is time to change the part rather than living with it a while longer because the failure was "quieter."

I know a member, Jay, who's had a set of these mechanical struts for a while he's been wanting to sell. I had them for a while (post swap meet haul for club), but I think he still has a set. They were not cheap items new and I don't know what he wants for them, but would be happy to contact him for you. He's not active on this site and lives up the other side of Burlington as I recall. If interested, let me know and I can get you in-touch with him.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"