Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Engine removal planning

Would have hated to be that UPS delivery guy...

So? How's it look!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Burning the candle at both ends trying to get out for the holidays...didn't get all the way in, just opened the outer bag....it looks, incredibly new and clean looking. Hard to believe it's the same engine!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

So...getting everything ready for painting...and have another one of those dumb questions...Do I paint over the freeze plugs? (all new and already installed.)

Looked at different forums online and it seems like the answers are about 50/50!

Roger and Gene...I hope the engine install went well. I know it's not a falcon, but I think we'd all like to see some pictures if you have a chance.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don,

It has been done both ways for years, so most don't think it through. I always install them after paint - for two reasons. One, if I use the brass block plugs (these are the ones that corrode first, so brass resists this type of failure) and I just simply like the looks of them - even when you can't see them later. Two, they have to be able to move. One can assume if the water freezes behind them they'll move no matter what, but the paint may act as a resistance (albeit small) to this movement. I doubt it will stop them from popping if ice forms and as such I think you'll be fine.

Thanks for taking the effort to make that hoist available last moment. I intended to bring the leveler, but couldn't find it. Found it Saturday still wrapped in the white plastic bag you delivered to me in.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; September 28th, 2016 at 05:32 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Yea, I called S&J early this morning about it and they said paint them or not doesn't matter...Now I have a decision to make. They are brass and look really cool actually...I'll try to get some pictures up this weekend before I paint...

Nice engine by the way...and some fancy photography too! Looking forward to the updates next week.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Remember that pic of the dipstick tube? Well...it (the dipstick tube) didn't come back with the engine.
    It looks like falcon enterprises sells the dipstick tube (along with the dipstick)...just more money.after more money after more money...and every $20 bucks counts at this point.
    If anyone happens to have one of these lying around in a junked engine laying in the corner I sure would appreciate the donation....
    According to falconparts.com it's the same for all the 6cyl engines 1960 - 1970.

"1960-1970 6 CYLINDER OIL DIPSTICKS & TUBES
    SKU: C2DZ-6750-B
    This is the correct oil dipstick and tube which will fit all models of the 1960-1970 Ford Falcon & Mercury Comet equipped with a 6 cylinder engine. Unpainted as original."

Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Hey Don I have an old block in my scrap pile that just might have that in it. I'll try to remember to look in the am. Do you need that little tube or the whole thing?
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I have the dipstick, I just need that little tube. I'm not sure how far it goes down inside...most grateful!!!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I'll let you know tomorrow. I'll write myself a sticky note and check it in the am before work.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Why the heck would someone pull that out?

I'll look at the 200 that was in the Ranchero (block is cracked anyway) so if Steve doesn't, I probably do.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"