Thread: Practice painting

Practice painting

Here is a picture of a spare fender that I am practicing on to determine the color of yellow that I want. I sprayed the lower section with yellow primer and the upper section with white primer. Then yellow with pearl over the white/yellow primer and yellow metallic over the white/yellow primer.
    The picture doesn't do the pearl justice. I love it and probably will go with the yellow pearl over white primer. The yellow metallic comes out with a greenish tint, which Sherwin Williams folks said it would.
    Three coats of primer block sanded then three coats of base, 3 coats of clear, sanded, and then 2 more coats of clear sanded and buffed with three compounds.
    I won't show you the top where I had some horrible runs. Practice is definitely needed. I will soon change my call name from "blackfalcon" to yellowbird or something.
    As soon as I can decide which color it is then I will paint the engine bay, trunk area, lower surfaces of hood and trunk and door frames. Maybe just maybe I will make it to a car show with you all some day. Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm sure my anemic computer monitor doesn't do it justice. If you come to the meeting this week, toss the fender in the trunk so we came see it in the twilight of the parking lot.

Keep up the good work.

practice painting

I will bring it but if anyone laughs I will put a new dent in the fender.

Practice Painting

I am not sure who the young man was that came out to the cars after the meeting and talked to me/us about the painting processes on my practice fender.
    He was a members son?? If so I would like to personally thank him for taking the time and giving me a whole lot of advice on how to make my painting job easier and better. If someone knows his name and/or parents name I would like to tell him thanks. Nice polite youngster who was good at helping without making an old dude feel stupid. Parents raised him well. Thanks Larry