Thread: Sill Plates

Sill Plates

I am getting ready to install the sill plates that I bought from Falcon Enterprises but not sure if I have a problem. They are not opposite parts. Both are made the same. Shouldn't there be a left and a right part? Since one end has a curved side and the other end is a 90 degree corner I would think there is something wrong??

My `62s are different for sure. I would say they goofed up!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

They do curve up at each end but there is a left and right.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Sill Plates

Well, Falcon Enterprises contacted me and said that their vendor screwed up but since I waited to long I would have to pay for shipping the parts back to them. Then they will send me new ones. Not quite satisfied but not much I can do. You would think that they would try to satisfy someone who spent thousands at their business. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    You would think that they would try to satisfy someone who spent thousands at their business. Oh well.

... and is a member of a club that will most likely spend tens of thousands with them... or a competitor, in the next year.

Sill Plates

I recieved a note back from Falcon Enterprises concerning them sending me two R/H door sills instead of a L/H and R/H. There answer was
    Hello,
    After contact with the manufacturer, the sill plates are not returnable due to the extended time frame. We regret any inconvenience and look forward to serving you in the future. Sincerely, Ron Wilson, Falcon Enterprises.

Here is what I sent back to them.

That is a good business type answer. But, since you have rebuilt cars in the past yourself and know that projects get stalled due to serious health problems , (one of my issues), deaths in the family (another of my issues while I had to prepare their property for sale), and just plain old hard time to get the car together I know that you understand why this happens.
    I will purchase another set from another company. You can look at your paperwork and see the amount of money I have spent at your company. $3129 rounded to the nearest dollar. Fairly good customer I would think. But no longer, I can assure you.
    Like I mentioned below. You the seller get to put all kinds of policies for purchases in your website. WE the buyers don't get that opportunity. But I agree your rules give specific direction about returns. So, I can't fight that, but you being "right" does not mean that you are doing the "right" thing.
    I am forward this email along to my Falcon Club and to the Falcon Club of America for their perusal. The Falcon clubs will see that you are following established guidelines and they will know that you are right. They will also understand that you must have guidelines. But boy, when you guys send me two right hand door sills instead of a left and right part, then say the vendor won't take them back you miss the whole concept.
    I worked at Boeing for forty years and retired as a Quality manager. I never could get away with telling United Airlines that if they had a problem with their GE engines that the vendor wouldn't take it back. Boeing would not risk losing a great customer, because the name on the plane says Boeing, not G.E. Your name is on these wrong parts. Not your vendor.

As Benjamin Frankliin mentioned "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"
    Sincerely Larry Smith

Well put Larry!

I mean...what's the actual amount of money he would lose on sending you the correct parts compared to the profit he's made (and could have continued to make) from your project. And the loss from others who may decide to go elsewhere when given the choice.

And someday, he may get a call from someone who had one damaged and shipping or just needed one side and he would have a spare on the shelf!

But I liked the way you handled it. No screaming or calling names. Just let your wallet do the talking.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered about $500 worth of seals and they were on my list to get them from. I did change and ordered them from a competitor. Customer service means more to me than a couple bucks cheaper. Steve H.
    Most of you have seen my car and know how much more there is to spend on it as well. This is why we have these boards and clubs to help each other out. Thanks again...

KUDO's Larry!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Larry-

I really don't understand this sort of business practice, so I'm with you on this one too. It may have been OK (or safe, at least) 30 years ago to handle things like this, but I know word-of-mouth travels very fast these days. How many now, based upon your experience with a $50 item, will no longer send hundred's of dollars to this business? I think they may soon find out.

I know, considering I manage customer service, that some customers expect the world to stop for them, and sometimes I have to be pretty firm on policy, but I will never be accused of being unreasonable. This is a pretty clear case of an "oops" on their part - not you trying to get the upper hand. I would have bent the rules and slept well afterward.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"