Thread: uh-oh i'm in trouble

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Red face The Slick thread. 61-66 f series trucks

Well, the dookie is hitting the fan..

The wife gave me some cash to go look for falcon parts.
    So with pair of binoculars I hit the dirt roads looking for hidden treasures.
    So I head out to this area that has mobile homes that are mobile and cars that aren't. If we were down south I'd might make a Jeff Foxworthy comment.

Anyways I spot what looks to be a falcon rear end hidden in a yard full of cars. Bonus a owner is out side and I don't have to knock on doors, so I stop.

Well the falcon didn't have anything useable, but it was a falcon. What was left of that car should be melted into Budweiser cans. Not a single panel was useable.

So I ask if they had any other old fords they'd be interested in selling. They said sure everything is for sale if the price is right. By now you can see where this is going and I'm about to step in it knee deep.

So over to the shop we walk. Once inside I'm looking at a bunch of 70's stuff. Yuck! BUT.. yep you knew it was coming... over in the corner was a 60's ford pick up. Under a layer of dust and dirt.

So I ask, what can you tell me about the pickup? Oh that old thing? I'm thinking ok, must be a pile because the way they're talking about it.

Turns out that, that old thing is a 1965 f100 4x4 high-boy with 62k original miles. Its got a newer 360 with an edlebrock street master aluminum intake and a Holley carb. Its a 4 speed with granny low and a divorced transfer case, something I'll be if I keep buying old cars and trucks. But I didn't buy the falcon wagon, so. It not just me.

The back story is I've always had a soft spot for the 57-66 pickups. And now that I'm rural enough and I don't like driving the Fairlane down gravel roads, I've been half *** looking for a field or farm truck.

So I do some haggling agree on a price then did some horse trading. No cars were harmed in my trading, neither were the horses. Anyhow I'm now the proud owner of a pickup. oops

Threw in a battery plus some gas and been driving it around today.
    Everything was working, but somehow the driver side brake light quit? Its not the bulb.. I ran out of light but I think its not getting power to the tail light.

My plan is to go junkyard crawling tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Nathan289; October 30th, 2014 at 08:18 PM.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Waaaay cool Nathan! I'd love to cruise around in something like that. Can't wait to get some updates as you give it a spit shine.

Once the fur stop flying!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Its been fun so far..

The old trucks sure are different to drive compared to the falcons.

I have some clearance marker and id lights to re-install once I make some new gaskets.

First priority fix the brake light.
    First purchase obtain a shop manual.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

So much for my junkyard crawl.
    Its been a steady moderate rain since 8am.. not the kind of weather I want to be outside pulling parts in.

Light rain ok, but this stuff, not a chance.

Oh-well

think my BBQ tonight might be canceled too.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Ah man! I've been seriously thinking about getting one of those! Ask Gene, I almost bought one at the swap meet for $1800! Never talked to the guy, but that was his asking price on the For Sale sign. Money stayed in the bank though.

I have a '67 with a new motor in it, which I've casually tried selling a few times, but the body style I wanted (when I bought it) was a 61-66. Not much into the bump-side 67-72 or dent-side 73-79. I drove a 57 F100 in high school (my favorite of those years because of the single headlight system) and had a '56 Panel for years, but have never had the 61-66 style.

Yours is the one I mentioned to Gene as having the 61-66 body style, but has the 57-60 bed. Not sure why they did that, but they appear often that way. Yours being a 65 tends to refute my opinion that it was a transitional thing when the 61's came out they had too many of the old-style beds. They should'a ran out of those long before '65. Now it has me wondering even more why the old-style beds were used on the newer body trucks.

Good buy though!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"